Trying to split a packet dry yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Hi guys on the weekend I'll be making a small batch that'll only require a third packet of dry yeast. I asked the guy at the HBS if I can open a packet then reseal it and whack it in the freezer and he said if I seal it back up it will only last about a week before not really being use-able. So I'm wondering what people here think. Keeping in mind I'm not making starters so I'm relying on re-hydration to keep enough cells alive in the two remaining thirds to pitch into a regular 23L batch. My plan is to use a third of the packet on my small batch then seal and freeze the other two thirds until I start my large batch which could be up to three weeks away, to get as many cells living in the two thirds my plan is to re-hydrate, pitch and hope there's enough in there to get it started. Is this simply too risky? To be completely honest buying another packet doesn't bother me too much, it just seems like a waste to buy a whole packet and only use a third of it.

HBS guy is talking nonsense, I've split packets heaps and the yeast doesn't seem bothered in the slightest.

I reckon your plan could work; you could supplement it with slurry from your small batch you are going to ferment now. I haven't done that before but I probably will soon.

BTW one packet of yeast is about four to five level teaspoons.

TimT said:
HBS guy is talking nonsense, I've split packets heaps and the yeast doesn't seem bothered in the slightest.

I reckon your plan could work; you could supplement it with slurry from your small batch you are going to ferment now. I haven't done that before but I probably will soon.

BTW one packet of yeast is about four to five level teaspoons.
Is that a 5gm packet, a 7gm packet or an 11.5gm packet???

Fair enough, I'd assumed the packets were about 11 - 15 grams, hence my measurement.

TimT said:
Fair enough, I'd assumed the packets were about 11 - 15 grams, hence my measurement.
Yeah 11.5 gram packet of US-05 :) Hopefully I'll get a few more opinions and see what I can make work, at the very worst the two thirds doesn't get the airlock bubbling and I throw an extra packet in I guess

mje1980 said:
Just pitch the whole packet in your small batch.
I have thought about that but to be fair thats not really any different to throwing it away, when I said it'd be a shame to waste a whole packet on one small batch using it all in the one small batch as overkill is still using one whole packet on a small batch :p

Pitch the whole packet in the small batch and then use the slurry from the small batch to pitch into your 23 litre batch. Depending on the OG 2/3 of that pack of yeast will probably be under pitching for 23 litres.

primusbrew said:
Pitch the whole packet in the small batch and then use the slurry from the small batch to pitch into your 23 litre batch. Depending on the OG 2/3 of that pack of yeast will probably be under pitching for 23 litres.
Would like to do this but not sure on confidence in pitching slurry :/ might have to look into it, also more than likely will want to get the big batch going before the small batch but never know

Let's pass the hat around to shout the Moose another pack of 05. Tight arse.

No offense.

LOL I'm not even suggesting I wouldn't buy another pack I was just asking if it'd be bad or impossible to use the leftover yeast from a small batch in a big, I stated clearly in my earlier posts that I'd not hesitate buying another packet if need be. Knob. Just saying. No offence.

And if I can add to that I can't fathom why someone would feel the need to come into a conversation with a post that is neither helpful nor friendly especially considering I have not once had a go at anyone in any of my posts on this forum and absolutely everyone here but you has been helpful from the day I made an account on this forum. Why be a dick? The end.

What about using the whole packet so your small batch is extra awesome and in the odd chance it is stuffed possibly ruining the next batch :D. My luck i'll just have loose yeast rolling around the freezer.

The $2.30 you might save worth the quality risk?

PS this Adelaide home brew store lad may have vested interest you buying more yeast. :D

elcarter said:
What about using the whole packet so your small batch is extra awesome and in the odd chance it is stuffed ruining the next batch :D

The $2.30 you might save worth the quality risk?

PS this Adelaide home brew store lad may have vested interest you buying more yeast. :D
Haha maybe, yeah I'm thinking I might just chuck the whole thing in for the small batch, and where are you buying us05 for 2.30? I'm buying 7 dollar sachets :/

I was referring to the $ amount of the half pack of 11.5G us 05.
I know of 3 sourced in Adelaide that you can get them for 4.70 or less.

$7 you may as well be using liquid :D

elcarter said:
I was referring to the $ amount of the half pack of 11.5G us 05.
I know of 3 sourced in Adelaide that you can get them for 4.70 or less.

$7 you may as well be using liquid :D
haha yeah true! 4.70 is much nicer, actually to be fair where I have switched my homebrew supply to does sell them for 5 but they were sold out when I bought the rest of my ingredients so I had to settle for the more expensive shop :/

No need to split the pack (I do split liquid yeast packs). Just pitch the whole pack then save the resulting yeastcake in a tallie and pitch it into the larger brew.

Gavo said:
No need to split the pack (I do split liquid yeast packs). Just pitch the whole pack then save the resulting yeastcake in a tallie and pitch it into the larger brew.
Thanks gav I think I might just go this route, it means I can at least give the yeast cake a try and if it fails I'll get another packet, I was initially hesitant about trying to do this but I'm sure with enough research it'll be painless, how hard can it be? :p

Also thanks for all the suggestions and help guys!

Mate it is harder to type capturing yeast cake in a bottle than it is to do. Empty fermenter as usual, give it a swirl to mix the last bit of beer with the yeast then fill a sanitised bottle with that. Put it in the fridge until you want to use it.

bradsbrew said:
Mate it is harder to type capturing yeast cake in a bottle than it is to do. Empty fermenter as usual, give it a swirl to mix the last bit of beer with the yeast then fill a sanitised bottle with that. Put it in the fridge until you want to use it.
Brilliant :) I'll defs give it a go and see if she produces fermentation in the big batch. Is this what most people do? Or do most people buy new yeast every batch?

EDIT: also are there not problems with throwing a bunch of dead yeast cells into a fresh batch of beer? Assuming a fair amount of the cells at the bottom of the fermenter are dead couldn't you be throwing in cells that are close to lysis and therefore potentially ruining your fresh batch you pitch the old yeast into?

Nizmoose said:
Thanks gav I think I might just go this route, it means I can at least give the yeast cake a try and if it fails I'll get another packet, I was initially hesitant about trying to do this but I'm sure with enough research it'll be painless, how hard can it be? :p

Also thanks for all the suggestions and help guys!
Yeah I think that this is your best bet. Nothing wrong with pitching from a slurry. It is what most do when using liquid yeast and making a starter. The main thing you need to ensure is proper sanitation so you don't transfer an infection. But you should be doing this anyway.

In reagrds to your initial question. I have split a pack of dry yeast (Nottingham) between two small batches pitched a week apart (stored the second half of the yeast in a sanitised plastic jar in the fridge for a week) and had no problems with the second batch.

Back