Trying To Source A Large Boiler In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agraham

Reaction score
G'day AHB's,

I am trying to find a decent and affordable Boiler for my new All Grain setup.

Something in the range of 50-90l would be super. Any ideas where i can get something like this in Melbourne?

I am getting sick of using el cheapo 19l Big W Pots.

Cheers and Beer,

Andrew

Look up catering suppliers and go get a big ally stock pot

Batz

Do you think 90l would be enough? :beerbang: :super:

Depends how thirsty you are! 90L is massive, assuming you fill it 80L, boil off 10% in an hour, lose a litre or two in the CF chiller or hopback, leaves 70ish for drinking :p

I got a 60 litre alluminium pot for around $98 from a cetring place.
Cant remember what the place was called but I remember where it was.
Same size good quality SS would have been right out of my league.
I've been pretyy happy with it so far.

johnno

Try this place in clayton. I got a quote ages ago for s/s 36 litre and was about $60. They did heaps bigger ones too.

CFM

vlbaby.

Andrew.

There's a kitchen supply place in Victoria Street Richmond that has some monster sized pots. They're at the beginning of Victoria St. Just past the railway bridge. On the left if you're heading from the city.

Warren -

Thanks for the help lads. Will let you know how it all goes.

Andrew

I have a 60lt and a 90lt

The 60lt is good for single batch brews eg 23lt

90lt will do double batches , but then your HLT and mash tun need to be able to cope as well.

90lt cost me $140 a few months ago

Thread here with a debate on the subject

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...6524&hl=90%20lt

Batz

Batz said:
I have a 60lt and a 90lt

The 60lt is good for single batch brews eg 23lt

90lt will do double batches , but then your HLT and mash tun need to be able to cope as well.

90lt cost me $140 a few months ago

Thread here with a debate on the subject

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...6524&hl=90%20lt

Batz
[post="78638"][/post]​

Thanks Batz,

Interesting thread. I would rather spend a few extra dollars to get a bigger pot, and then have the option to do double batches etc...

Thanks,

Andrew

FWIW, if I had my time again and was building my brewery from scratch I would just buy two or three big aluminium pots and be done with it. Kegs are nice but...you know the deal :ph34r:

Still might go that way one day. It'd be nice. Plus they don't weigh so bloody much.

Cheers and good luck.

Justin

Same.

Ever tried boiling 40-42 litres in a 50 litre keg. Works but it's a real fine-tuning act. Turn your back and you wind up with a real mess. :blink:

Batz. That's cheap for a 90 litre pot. :eek:

Warren -

I think you'll find that about standard price , they had a 120lt too , $160 I think

I used a keg before this , believe me the big stock pot is the way to go.

Batz

Batz said:
I think you'll find that about standard price , they had a 120lt too , $160 I think

I used a keg before this , believe me the big stock pot is the way to go.

Batz
[post="78646"][/post]​

120 Litre ?!? :eek: You could almost boil yourself in that. :lol:

A 70 to 80 litre would be perfect for me. :beerbang:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Same.

Ever tried boiling 40-42 litres in a 50 litre keg. Works but it's a real fine-tuning act. Turn your back and you wind up with a real mess. :blink:

Batz. That's cheap for a 90 litre pot. :eek:

Warren -
[post="78643"][/post]​

Try 29 litres in a 35 litre pot.
One hand on the gas control and the other on a water spray bottle to stop boil-overs. B)
Ok once it settles down though.

Anybody in Melbourne still looking for large Aluminium pots? :beerbang:

Hotel Agencies in Fitzroy have them.

Contact Details

I've just picked up an 80 litre job. Cost was $159. They also have 95 Litre jobs for about $180 IIRC. That was a bit too big for my frame. :eek:

All geared up for extra beer now. :lol: :chug:

Warren -

DSC00570.JPG

Just what you need is extra beer! :lol:

Nice addition there Warren...

Shawn.

I do 25L boils in a 25L pail (with immersion element). The wort sits about one inch below the rim of the pail! Its a bit touch and go, but luckily the immersion element is not too vigorous - I haven't had a boil over so far. I will soon be moving up to a 50L batch size and will use gas and a 60L kettle. I think it will be quite a learning experience - by the sound of it the immersion element is extremely forgiving in comparison to gas!

Back