Trying To Remove Dip Tube From Cub (?) Style Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim F

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been trying to get the dip tube out of this keg before cutting the top off. I thought with this style of keg it was just a matter of tapping the pin around to line uo with the little slot, then it would lift out. But no matter how hard I whack those pins with a cold chisel and hammer, they don't budge. Any suggestions? Is this a different style of keg to what I think it is?

keg1.jpg
keg2.jpg

Before you do anything else , make sure the keg has been de-pressurised....
I got the circlip out with a pair of pliers...pulled the clip towards the centre and slipped a screw driver in there...then levered it out....
Sure others will have different ways...
Have a look on youtube too !
Cheers
Ferg

As Fergus says, check if theres no pressure first. best way to do this without being sprayed by stale beer is to put the keg on it's side and depress the the centre with a suitable object

The circlip Fergus metions is the flat ring you can see above the two lugs you have been bashing with that cold chisel... It can be easier to remove if you drill a small hole in either end carefully and remove with conventional circlip pliers.

Then it's just a matter of tapping the lugs anti-clockwise to remove the spear assembly

If that keg is legal <_< as Ferg and Shooey said get the gas out first. If all fails, PM me its a simple process.

There is a thread with photos on how to do this in 'gear and equipment'. Have a search

keg2.jpg

As mentioned remove the circlip first, then you can remove the dip tube.

QldKev

here and here

also do a search on youtube as there are a few videos on how to do it.

It can be easier to remove if you drill a small hole in either end carefully and remove with conventional circlip pliers.

Then it's just a matter of tapping the lugs anti-clockwise to remove the spear assembly
I wonder why folks always make it sound easy to drill a couple of holes in the circlip then use some circlip pliers to remove the circlip? Drilling the holes in the circlip is the difficult part. It is farken hard stuff (stainless spring steel?) and a centre punch even has trouble marking it before you drill it. That is when the fun starts - major PITA, IMO. I have had the sharpest, good quality drill bits (even tried HSS) and cutting lube on an appropriate speed with heaps of force; even put the bloody thing on my drill press. In my mind it is a PITA but it needs to be done to get the bloody circlip out. In the end I just cut the bloody circlip in half with a thin cutoff disk on the grinder - yes i cut through the edge of dip tube etc too. Is there something I am missing?

PS I think the dip tube has to go down and then around, and then up and around about half way through or something like that. It is not just a straight thread on the dip tube - it has some section a bit like the bayonet reciever for a light bulb. There is a trick to it and I would have to inspect the spear in my shed to confirm it for you.

I wonder why folks always make it sound easy to drill a couple of holes in the circlip then use some circlip pliers to remove the circlip? Drilling the holes in the circlip is the difficult part. It is farken hard stuff (stainless spring steel?) and a centre punch even has trouble marking it before you drill it. That is when the fun starts - major PITA, IMO. I have had the sharpest, good quality drill bits (even tried HSS) and cutting lube on an appropriate speed with heaps of force; even put the bloody thing on my drill press. In my mind it is a PITA but it needs to be done to get the bloody circlip out. In the end I just cut the bloody circlip in half with a thin cutoff disk on the grinder - yes i cut through the edge of dip tube etc too. Is there something I am missing?

PS I think the dip tube has to go down and then around, and then up and around about half way through or something like that. It is not just a straight thread on the dip tube - it has some section a bit like the bayonet reciever for a light bulb. There is a trick to it and I would have to inspect the spear in my shed to confirm it for you.

I dunno... with a sharp 2mm drill and some Rocol, I've never had an issue.

As for the bayonet thing, that's on the Toohey's style kegs (taller, smaller diameter) rather than the CUB (shorter, larger diameter) kegs

When I modified mine, I got the circlip out after some stuffing around but struggled to remove the spear.

Since I was cutting the top out anyway (as you are doing) you don't need to remove the spear to do so. Once the top was removed, I found it much easier to remove the spear to use as a dip tube.

De-gas and de-gas again before cutting though.

yep she's flat alright, had it sitting there with a screwdriver jammed in the top. Thanks for the tips and if i can't get it out easily i will cut with it still in there.

Back