Trying my first Mini BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenaf

Reaction score
Hey guys. Going to try my first Mini BIAB this weekend. Looking to use a 19L pot from BigW.

I'm hell nervous about screwing it up. I went to my homebrew store and stupidly got ingredients for a recipe I saw on some forum that didnt have much info one it. It was for an IPA.

What I have is:
2.4kg of Pale Malt
300g Caramlt
300g Munich

50g Cascade

US-05 Yeast

Keen to to make something farily hoppy, this recipe stated Mash for 60, boil for 60. Hop 40g at 10min then 10g Dry.
I'm not overly sure how this would turn out? I feel more confident just adding hops during boil...say 60, 20 and then at 10? Also should my mash and boil time be longer? Say 90 each?

I popped all these details into Brewmate for a 65c strike, 90min mash, 90min boil, with hops at 60min (15g), 20min (15g) and 10min (20g) and brewmate seemed to think it would be ok....What do you guys think? Your suggestion would be great

Sorry for probably asking questions that have been asked before. Your help is much appreciated.

In a bit of a pickle now. Bought this grain thinking i was using a 19L pot, went my local Bigw and they were sold out. Largest pot I have now is 15L Is there any way I use all this grain in a 15L pot? Hsould of checked Bigw before going to my homebrewstore

Yeah you can fit the 3kg grain in 15l pot. I've done it before.

You will probably have water ratio of 3L per kg grain. That will take u close to capacity.

Go for it

As for the recipe questions. There is nothing wrong about going either way with mash/boil times. It will turn out fine.

Whichever you do, you can always change it up next time :) .

if you have a 20L bucket mash in in that instead of a 15L pot...
or mash in a esky or just about anything that will hold the volume....

wrap it up in a blanket / doona / ? to keep warm

you "could" even mash in your fermenter and tip it back into the pot to boil
make sure you sanitize it good after mashing but....

Ah yes mashing in an esky is a great idea, then just transfer into a pot for the boil, thanks for your advice guys

Back