Trying For An English Brooon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyane

Reaction score
Hi - this is my 1st brew using steeped grains without a recipe sourced online.
Will this get me anything a) drinkable and hopefully
b) like BJCP 11a/b/c English Brown Ale?

Coopers Real Ale
2x kit yeast
200g chocolate malt
1kg light LME
500g dark DME
100g dark brown sugar
100g golden syrup

Target 8g at 60min
Fuggle and EKG 5g each at 15 and 5mins

the adjuncts are just for better attenuation - have used these to bump k&k recipes and they've been ok.
i don't want the hops to dominate - looking for a smooth malty ale
oh and no chance of getting s04 yeast until Tuesday, god save the queen

cheers

FWIW -- bottled this today after 10 days in primary at 20-22C.

OG 1048
FG 1010

It sure looks dark in the FV and bottle. It looks copper/rust brown as it goes thru the tap or held to the light.
Was thinking this may be closer to a Brown Porter in style.
Just for the heck of it, i dry-hopped with 12g Fuggle on day 6.

It tastes lovely - choc/coffee, not overly hopped. Will take a better taste in a few weeks but here's hoping i haven't overdone the hops and that malty goodness is still there. Waiting is the hardest part of brewing!

You clearly went for the Newcastle variant rather than the Southern sweet old ladies' variety :rolleyes::p

As a Geordie I can report that despite the name, Newky isn't, and never was a brown, more of a dark red ale, and was fairly sweet and malty. The other great example was Vaux Double Maxim which has recently been revived.

double_maxim.jpg

If you are doing this one again I'd look at a fair amount of Caraaroma (say 300g) instead of the choc. to give a lovely deep red and a raisiny taste, and drop the dark extract in favour of light.

Sounds like a nice drop anyway, I could never nail the style in my kit days but maybe know a bit more after 4 years in the obsession, :p so best of luck.

If you are doing this one again I'd look at a fair amount of Caraaroma (say 300g) instead of the choc. to give a lovely deep red and a raisiny taste, and drop the dark extract in favour of light.

Thanks Bribie - will definitely give that a try. Have had an obsession with the Briess amber extract lately but looking to move to steeped caramel or roasted malts for more variety.

Been a while since i sampled a Newcastle Broown -- will look for the Double Maxim at the beerpermarket. cheers!

Sampled this at 20 days in the bottle ... more of a dry porter style. Quite bitter but not astringently so - spreadsheet indicates IBU of 40 which fits in the range for Robust Porter.

Not being one to avoid disappointment :) the next day I quaffed a 4-pack of Murray's Dark Knight while a second bottle was getting chilled.

The Murray's is much more complex in the malt flavours and has more body, but I transitioned to the house beer with just a couple of sips.

Have brewed 28 different recipes this year (that's one per week, my own Yeer of Beer) and this is definitely one to do again!

Latest posts

Back