Trying again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seuss

Reaction score
I did a cider and beer about 2.5 years ago and then didn't have the time to keep going.
The pear cider (mad millie's) came out pretty good the beer (Mangrove Jack's robbers gold) however was quite bitter and a couple of flavours that weren't right, both the cider and the beer had little carbonation (I used 2 x drops in each 750ml) no idea why. Doing a clean up I found an apple cider I had forgotten about and a bottle of the beer which seemed to have improved somewhat. Wife was keen for the cider which was motivational - she wasn't just been nice in drinking the first lot.

A couple of days ago I made up the apple cider (mangrove jacks this time) even though the kit was just out of date. The airlock started to bubble straight away as soon as fitted not sure if this is concerning as everything I have read said allow at least a few hours for activity? Fingers crossed it comes up OK.

Also got some Coopers Australian Pale ale and BE3 to do next. Figured it seems to be the starting point for lots of people and plenty of ideas how to improve it somewhat, going to brew it standard and then try a few additions if I don't get too distracted and try something else first.

Anyway cheers for all the posts and info here, much appreciated.

I too am keen for some advice on the airlock bubbling straight away. Had a brew recently where this happened and all others I had to wait 12-36 hours before airlock activity. Got down to a reasonable FG (SG1.060- FG1.020) and stayed there for a week and no bottle bombs yet after bottling.

if the ambient temp is high its likely to kick off early.
I think I pitched at about 22 and kept it around 20-ish for the ferment. Was the quickest over ever had airlock activity, about an hour or two and was in full swing

Back