Truckwits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonel

Reaction score
Why is it that whenever there's a death at a level crossing, people jump up and down blaming the infrastructure, and not the dickhead who drove in front of the train?
And, while I'm on the box, when are truckwits going to be held responsible for the power over life and death they command, mostly with limited intelligence?
You'd think that someone who calls themself a "professional driver" would know that trucks and trains should remain separated.
The fair dinkum pro's out there on our roads should stand together as a professional group and demand higher standards of their colleagues.
Lets have a nation wide "dob in an idiot" day, when truck drivers who tailgate, speed, (what is the go with that "speed limited" thing, when we all get passed by light speed semi's?), and use mobiles are hit with a few months loss of license to bring them to their senses.

Why is it that whenever there's a death at a level crossing, people jump up and down blaming the infrastructure, and not the dickhead who drove in front of the train?
And, while I'm on the box, when are truckwits going to be held responsible for the power over life and death they command, mostly with limited intelligence?
You'd think that someone who calls themself a "professional driver" would know that trucks and trains should remain separated.
The fair dinkum pro's out there on our roads should stand together as a professional group and demand higher standards of their colleagues.
Lets have a nation wide "dob in an idiot" day, when truck drivers who tailgate, speed, (what is the go with that "speed limited" thing, when we all get passed by light speed semi's?), and use mobiles are hit with a few months loss of license to bring them to their senses.
I am quite sure that the State Coroner is relieved that he doesn't need to investigate this incident as you have quite clearly done the job for him.
Super effort.

Cheers
Chris

I seen somthing on ACA the other night about some truck licence tester who was giving out truck licences under the table for cash payment, they said theres heaps out there that he has given licences too....

He was sacked from Linfox and had his acreditation taken from him but all the drivers would need to be re tested.....

Scares me driving into the city on the westgate with the cowboys driving on there......

I seen somthing on ACA the other night

Well, there's your problem.

But anyway, since I've got my HR driving test booked in next week that will return little change from $700, lets hope my instructor is on the up and up.

I was driving down my street this afternoon and had to pull over as I watched a cane haulout driver slowly veering into my lane, he came over almost all the way before going back to his lane.

I was going to give him a blast on the horn and a mouth full as he past but i didn't want to disturb him as he was clearly on a very important mobile phone call, true story.

Just sayin.

Context: OP (who, I know, can stand up for himself) works full time in a role that is called to, and subsequently cleans up, these incidents.

The circumstances could easily be changed to any analogous situation in one's own workplace. There are economic-political ramifications behind this concern also. I don't think he has impeded on anyone else's job particularly?

Most days on my way to work, I have to be aware of people riding 'Scooters' through traffic, as they are not really vehicles they can do what ever they want apparently, and in shorts and T-Shirts... I must have missed a meeting.

Just sayin.

Most days on my way to work, I have to be aware of people riding 'Scooters' through traffic, as they are not really vehicles they can do what ever they want apparently, and in shorts and T-Shirts... I must have missed a meeting.

Just sayin.

But isn't that sentiment entirely in concert with OP and AndrewQld? That the fuckwit in charge of the vehicle needs to take some responsibility for his/her role?

edit: as always, I don't really have an opinion, just interested in the 'rules of the game'

But isn't that sentiment entirely in concert with OP and AndrewQld? That the fuckwit in charge of the vehicle needs to take some responsibility for his/her role?

edit: as always, I don't really have an opinion, just interested in the 'rules of the game'

Correct.

But casting judgement, as I may have just done, admittedly, is my point. :p

Correct.

But casting judgement, as I may have just done, admittedly, is my point. :p

Cockos point>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(I missed it :icon_drunk: ).

haha...I guess I'm all for casting judgement...apparently...haha! I still don't think the judgement is unwarranted if you are the one cleaning up the mess. Ask an oncology nurse on their opinion of smoking, would you be surprised if they were against smoking?

This doesn't affect your 'RIGHT' (don't get me started) to smoke, speed, be a **** behind the wheel, but surely those who have to clean it up have a 'RIGHT' to speak about it?

Cockos point>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(I missed it :icon_drunk: ).

haha...I guess I'm all for casting judgement...apparently...haha! I still don't think the judgement is unwarranted if you are the one cleaning up the mess. Ask an oncology nurse on their opinion of smoking, would you be surprised if they were against smoking?

This doesn't affect your 'RIGHT' (don't get me started) to smoke, speed, be a **** behind the wheel, but surely those who have to clean it up have a 'RIGHT' to speak about it?

I fold.

Just thought that the truck driver would have a story behind him too...

Also was trying to keep my post count up :p

Anyway, as always - much respect LF, yc.

I 'heart' cocko - he knows how sensitive I am haha... :icon_cheers:

And you're absolutely right, everyone has a story, I just thought one side was being stomped on a bit harder than necessary...(this will end in a drunken phone call between me and TasChris at some point anyway hahahaha)...I'mm trying to keep my post count up AND avoid checking my thesis which I'm meant to be getting printed tomorrow hahaha, what's that? Another beer? Yessiree!

Just sayin.

That's a bit creepy, how do you know I ride a scooter :lol: , seriously though Cocko, it could have been any vehicle coming down the road towards me, this time it just happened to be a truck, and I agree with your sentiment above, it's the idiot driver, not the vehicle.
Although a fully loaded semi does do a bit more damage than a 50cc Scooter.

Andrew

That's a bit creepy, how do you know I ride a scooter :lol: , seriously though Cocko, it could have been any vehicle coming down the road towards me, this time it just happened to be a truck, and I agree with your sentiment above, it's the idiot drive, not the vehicle.

I knew you were the scooter type :p

All good, cup day has the better of me = should not be posting.

:icon_cheers:

as always, I don't really have an opinion
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your lack of opinion, man.

Since you have serious procrastination fuel (incidentally, I have an exam tomorrow morning), I'd like to hear your thoughts on man's capacity to not form an opinion on anything. Analogues between your position and The Game (which you just lost) are more than welcome.

mate the roads are full of idgets. they are in almost every form of vehicle on the road.

till you can only read the middle three letters in kenwood in the rear vision mirror they arent close enough.
yes i drive a small car but it has enough guts to do 130km/h along the f3 even with the hills, do you really need to sit that far up my arse while im doing 115

Cocko, I recon the best time for posting is when liquored up on truth serum:)
Anyway, it's good to get some replies, conversation was the motivation for the post.
As far as judging is concerned, only the idiots need to fear, the rest can rest easy.
I know there are thousands of shit drivers on the roads, and most of them drive little vehicles, but the sheer size and weight of trucks make them able to do a lot more damage, Kerang level crossing, Melb city tunnel, to name a couple of examples.
My point about "professionalism", is that, people who do something for a living, should be better than the masses, and should be respected, and therefore should also be embarrassed when one of their colleagues brings their chosen occupation into disrepute.
Cheers, and "keep on truckin"

P.S. not just judging from behind a computer, as have driven grain and cattle semi's in rural Vic, road trains in NT, and heavy vehicles around city

My point about "professionalism", is that, people who do something for a living, should be better than the masses, and should be respected, and therefore should also be embarrassed when one of their colleagues brings their chosen occupation into disrepute.

Are you saying craft brewers should feel abashed because of Fosters Group employees?

Truck drives, train drivers, boat drivers, car drivers, motorcycle drivers, small car drivers, bicycle couriers, articulated vehicle drivers etc. There is good and bad.

I've driven (a car - im not a professional driver) most of the way around mainland oz. I've seen the good the bad and the just plain ******* scary side of truck driving. For the most part most prime mover drivers are pretty good. MR/HR drivers often leave more to be desired. But even that is casting generalisations.
You only need to listen to UHF channel 40 (out side of a city where every f**kwit with a UHF gets on there cursing) and listen to the truck drivers. They are friendly, they warn of dangers and flash for cash sites, they talk about bad drivers (usually the ones clearly under the influence of "substance").
These guys are dads (and mums), grand dads, uncles, sons. Just trying to make a buck hauling stuff across the land.

Ok yes theres been a few instances where trucks have taken out trains. But then how many cars get taken out by trains (in no way do I blame train drivers for these accidents). However the difference is that a car gets take out by a train and pretty much nothing happens to the train, the train driver gets sent off for councelling and the vehicle occupants are killed (often suicide). It makes the 6pm news for a day but thats it. A truck hits a train (or vice versa) and it causes carnage. Trains derail, occupants injured/killed, lines closed for days etc etc. Who is worse - truck drivers or car drivers? I'd suggest car drivers.

Its like when you drive into a city. People abuse truck drivers yet in 80% or more of cases as an observer you have to blame the car driver for not being properly attentive - or more often for being inexperianced. Most people hop in a car after being out of bed for 40 minutes, drive twenty minutes to work at an average speed of 40kph work 8-9 hours then hop in a car and drive back home at 40kph and claim to be experts on driving. Truck drivers drive 100's of km a day. Often driving to new locations pulling different load weights and dimensions. They drive in all kinds of different conditions and are usually much more aware of road conditions than the commuter on his way home from work.
How many truck drivers do you see doing their hair, talking on a phone and eatting a bowl of cereal in their truck on the way to work? how many women do you see doing that often with kids in the car? Now who is the biggest risk.
How many dads come home on a friday after a 45 hour week at work for a long weekend, hook up the boat/caravan that they tow 6 times a year tops and drive 4 hours to a holiday destination fatigued from a full day at work driving in the dark to an unfamiliar destination with the distraction of children and their partner to make things just a bit more fun?

Sure some drivers talk on their phone but most (particularly owner drivers who often have to make $500+ per day to meet truck repayments) have hands free kits. These days often even the UHF radios are often activated by a steering wheel mounted button and a mounted microphone. These guys can't afford to be fined and put off the road for talking on a phone.

I guess my point is that making generalisations that truck drivers are all road menaces is foolish.
Im NOT saying the truck driver in the incident at abbotts road (which as a local I'm not even NEARLY surprised at) is to blame or not as I dont know the full story. But tarring all with the one brush...

Back