Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klosey

Reaction score
Just put down this James Squire IPA session clone. I set the temperature controller to 18 degrees and about 3 hours after adding the yeast I notice this very strange trub forming. Never seen it before. Any ideas?

Attachments

• A8379447-754D-497E-B40E-09F68ECE9E93.jpeg
    A8379447-754D-497E-B40E-09F68ECE9E93.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 95
Not going to spend hours typing, try Googling Cold Break there are lots of articles about it.
On the first page is a link to How To Brew which covers most of what you need. Some of the other articles are pretty good and a lot less basic than the HTB one.
Our American friends tend to be a lot more concerned with Cold Break than anyone else, having used some of the malts they make I can see why. With decent malt (not 6 row) its not really worth worring about.
Mark

Not going to spend hours typing, try Googling Cold Break there are lots of articles about it.
On the first page is a link to How To Brew which covers most of what you need. Some of the other articles are pretty good and a lot less basic than the HTB one.
Our American friends tend to be a lot more concerned with Cold Break than anyone else, having used some of the malts they make I can see why. With decent malt (not 6 row) its not really worth worring about.
Mark
Thanks Mark. Will google Cold BreaK

There is a lot to read and learn.
20 years studying brewing and I think I know how much I need to learn.
Mark

There is a lot to read and learn.
20 years studying brewing and I think I know how much I need to learn.
Mark
I had a 23 litre of cold filtered water sitting in the fridge to cool down the wort quickly. Then topped up with filtered water from the tap to my 46litre mark. Interesting?

Do you mean you put the 23 litre of Wort in the fridge to cool down?

Not sure that I like the idea of topping up / diluting my wort with tap water even if filtered before pitching the yeast. Why were you doing this? It really risks an infection at least.

Do you mean you put the 23 litre of Wort in the fridge to cool down?

Not sure that I like the idea of topping up / diluting my wort with tap water even if filtered before pitching the yeast. Why were you doing this? It really risks an infection at least.
No I put 23 litre of filtered water in the fridge overnight then added it to the wort and topped up with filtered tap water to the 46litre mark. Then pitched the yeast when the temperature was 20c. Using an ale yeast.

I'm puzzled, the wort is the liquid after the mash and boil. How much volume did you have and what gravity was it that you are adding more than half the total volume of cooled water to dilute it down.
You would need quite a lot of yeast for that beer volume.
Ideally you want to pitch as soon as possible so if you get the temps of all of these water additions right should be able to lob the yeast in asap.

I'm puzzled, the wort is the liquid after the mash and boil. How much volume did you have and what gravity was it that you are adding more than half the total volume of cooled water to dilute it down.
You would need quite a lot of yeast for that beer volume.
Ideally you want to pitch as soon as possible so if you get the temps of all of these water additions right should be able to lob the yeast in asap.
Hi Dunc, I am an extract brewer. In this instance I used 2 cans of 1.7kg Morgan’s Ultra Premium Frontier IPA, 2 cans of 1.5 kg Brewis CBW Pale Ale LME, 800 grams Dextrose, 300 grams Cracked Munich Grain (steeped) 24 grams of Centennial hops and 24 Grams of Citra finishing hops both steeped. When I combined all these ingredients I was under the impression that this was also called the wort before topping up with filtered water. I may have got my terminology wrong?

Yes I'd say you were right there as no boil with your kit and it was extract, with a bit of simple maths and regular measuring of the temp I think you should be able to dissolve your extracts and steep and then add water filtered to get your intended volume and then maybe just boil some of your filtered water up in a kettle and you can have some hot adjustment water to hit your target temp and away you go with the yeast. Interesting to see that cold break in an extract kit. I can't remember seeing that but I never steeped any grains or noticed ( most likely failed to observe). I did a kit during lockdown as a panic measure and that was very simple. It was first extract kit I'd done for 20 years and the only tins I'd been near since were for cider.

The yeast will munch that cold break up nicely, so don't worry and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Yes I'd say you were right there as no boil with your kit and it was extract, with a bit of simple maths and regular measuring of the temp I think you should be able to dissolve your extracts and steep and then add water filtered to get your intended volume and then maybe just boil some of your filtered water up in a kettle and you can have some hot adjustment water to hit your target temp and away you go with the yeast. Interesting to see that cold break in an extract kit. I can't remember seeing that but I never steeped any grains or noticed ( most likely failed to observe). I did a kit during lockdown as a panic measure and that was very simple. It was first extract kit I'd done for 20 years and the only tins I'd been near since were for cider.

The yeast will munch that cold break up nicely, so don't worry and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Good point about having the hot adjustment water on standby. Handy to have when the wort is too cold to pitch the ale yeast

After 24 hours it has settled down quite nicely. I had never seen this before hence my post. Just like to know why it happened this time? Might have used more boiling water than usual and then hit it with very cold water. Anyway time will tell. Lol

Attachments

• 10BDDF1B-C3B7-4A59-980B-C32EA32A1A39.jpeg
    10BDDF1B-C3B7-4A59-980B-C32EA32A1A39.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 18
Back