Trub In Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudeLazy

Reaction score
Hi All, I just brought my first Fermenter(Coopers) on the weekend and first time brewing anything. After going step by step, I'm now up to day 4 I have now seen a small amount of trub (I think its trub) lodged in the tap. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is normal and will happen some times? and, if this will effect this final bottling stage?

Thanks

Get a glass, put it under the tap and open the tap.

Throw away the crap that comes out.

Now the trub is gone, take a hydrometer sample out of the tap and measure the specific gravity. Let us know what it is.

Plenty of beer needs to come out of that tap between the stuff going in, and the stuff coming out into bottles.

The tap is your friend ... so is tasting the samples.

You have yeast settling at the bottom. It might've come up to tap level.
It's not a worry, I suppose you'd take hydrometer samples as instructed.
If so, let the trubby, yeasty first bit out. Then you'll get clearer beer to take a sample of and finally to bottle too.

btw, unsolicited advice: regarding those instructions, don't keep it that warm, 16-18C is plenty good for the beer, higher is actually progressively less good, even bad. Don't worry if it's been there for the past few already, just try to keep it cooler.

Get a glass, put it under the tap and open the tap.

Throw away the crap that comes out.

Now the trub is gone, take a hydrometer sample out of the tap and measure the specific gravity. Let us know what it is.

Plenty of beer needs to come out of that tap between the stuff going in, and the stuff coming out into bottles.

The tap is your friend ... so is tasting the samples.

I just tried to flush it out like you said. The trub is more, down and around the sides of the seal in the tap. Trub just moves around with tap when opening and closing so seems to be not going anywhere.
OG: 1030 if I read it right.
now at 1013 waiting for the FG reading to be the same.

I had a taste and tasting bloody good :)

leave it 3 more days before you take another sample. 4 days I wouldnt even think of checking gravity yet. around 8-10 days I take my first sample then 3 days after that. If its the same leave for few days to clean up and clear and then think about bottling. Dont rush the brew it will benefit alot more if you put the time into it.

leave it 3 more days before you take another sample. 4 days I wouldnt even think of checking gravity yet. around 8-10 days I take my first sample then 3 days after that. If its the same leave for few days to clean up and clear and then think about bottling. Dont rush the brew it will benefit alot more if you put the time into it.

I checked the gravity as i was trying to get out the trub. The main thing is it taste like beer (no infection tastings ) but thanks for the advice on the time I'll wait for the correct time.

I know its really hard every one told me when I started about waiting but did I??? no! why? coz its your first brew and you want to reap the rewards. Maybe I am a alco or maybe I just am impatient or both :p but it was hard for me.

Also I started brewing to save money then I was buying stuff to make beer yet I had to buy beer as well ontop of that as I cant drink the beer I just made so its hard when swmbo is going "I thought this was meant to save money?? you bought $40 of stuff to make beer then the 2 cartons ontop of that" lol

but AG and kegging have saved me the big waiting times lol Although prob cost me close to or over $2000 to set up but shhh swmbo doesnt know (well does but bits here and there for a few years doesnt seem like much) ;)

Just think of how much you've saved... of course, you now have a taste for expensive craft beer ;)

And maybe beer tours... craft beer tours... and you're planning a beer tour across europe ;)

Yeah, this homebrew lark will save you lots of money ;)

yep save heaps ;) 42 lts for $40 :p plus then you cant drink mega swill and go to the local import beer place and buy a 6 pack of random beers and they add up to like $32 lol but you have to try them ;)

Latest posts

Back