Troubleshooting: Cider that tastes like vinegar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The permeability of the bucket would have contributed to the growth rate of the acetobacter.
As for the krausen collar causing the issue. I don't think so.
The difference would be in the make up of the cider and I still believe its from the apples you added. To make a decent cider ditch the canned concentrates and go for the supermarket preservative free apple juices and use them directly and add a yeast and nutrient and ferment this.
It will be more like a cider than anything that comes in a can.
As for the fermenter give it a good hot soak with sodium per carb, the hotter the better, above 80 degrees ideally then maybe ether the bleach as bum has suggested or hot caustic and you will have no problems with in the future.
Also you still haven't mentioned what your cleaning and sanitation regime is. I suggest possible changing what you use to achieve a better clean. There are many threads on this topic on here.
If you are still using sodium meta bisulphate I'd change to a no rinse sanitizer like starsan or iodafore

I use sodium percarbonate for cleaning, then the no-rinse steriliser sold by the HBS I go to.
I make sure I clean and sterilise all utensiles I use, and I keep them in a cleaned and sterilised bucket when brewing.

Thanks for the deep cleaning tips of the fermenter.
Actually, I was thinking of pouring back all the cider/vinegar back from the bottles into the fermenter to let it turn into real apple vinegar. Right now it's still very mild for using as vinegar... Does that sound like a good idea at all?

Do you need 20 L of apple cider vinegar or are you just loath to say goodbye to a brew?

The latter of course :D
Though I'll surely be able to use up at least 10L by giving away bottles to friends and family.

All these fast ferment guys. U dint kjow what your missing out on with a long ferment.
Cutting apples into chunks is really inefficient. Youll bugger all sugar or flavour from that. Use juice next time as suggested.
Yup acetobacter. I get it from time time. Although strange thats its so acidic that u didnt get a white pelicle formed on top of the cider.

Make sure u clean them. Really hot water and normal cleaning will kill acetobacter. So just keep ur normal regime and youll be right.

There's white crust on the apples in that photo cm2.

As for cider vinegar axelboc - I doubt yours will be a super quality product. Keep one or two (or 5) and go through what many others, including myself have painfully experienced. Even the most cautious of brewers can lose a batch from time to time.

manticle said:
There's white crust on the apples in that photo cm2.
As for cider vinegar axelboc - I doubt yours will be a super quality product. Keep one or two (or 5) and go through what many others, including myself have painfully experienced. Even the most cautious of brewers can lose a batch from time to time.
cant make that out.
Yup. Cider vinager for cooking etc. Just keep brewing and pass it iff as experience.

Back