Trouble Getting Fg Down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys,i have posted about this brew a couple of days ago,my saflager 34/70 wouldnt give a kick when tossed into my esb pilsner,so the only yeast i had was a safale s04 which i put in,it has bubbled away happily for 4 days but has now slowed to 1 bubble every minute,this usually is when i put into secondry,however my fg is only at 1018 and og was 1042.it seems like it has just about come down as far as it is going to go,i am wondering if pitching the safale onto the 34/70 which did not work has anything to do with this,i have had the temp at around 18/20 deg,tried swirling the fermenter to see if this will start anything but didnt seem to do anything,by my calculations this will make my pilsner about 3.5% after adding priming sugar,seems a bit light on to me,taste is pretty good out of the test tube but any thoughts on this one,what have other brewers "oops sorry" fermenters come out with using the esb pilsner kit.
cheers
fergi

Don't worry Fergi, a little more time should solve all. :D

Strangely, I am also doing an ESB Pilsner at the moment, and my lager yeast also did not kick in. (Very strange as it was a good cup or more of slurry from a previous batch, but did not get going at all.) So pitched a starter of English Ale (WLP002) which was the most appropriate yeast I had. It has worked pretty slowly, possibly the cooler temperatures, but the gravity just keeps on coming down so just leave it a few more days and it should be ok. :chug:

Cheers
Stuart

Just a question fellas, but did you aerate your wort before pitching? SO4 should do better than 1018 from 1042 in a kit beer all things being equal. Just a thought...

Shawn.

I sure did Gough after having trouble with this in a stout a few months ago. There was froth to the rim and I was so tired of stirring I had to open another beer. :eek:

My FG is steadily coming down, just checked it after reading fergi's post, 1015 and falling. i'm expecting about 1010 (from 1044) and should be no problem methinks.

cheers
Stuart

Good news Stuart. Time usually sorts these things. Hope it is a good beer for you.

Shawn.

I am also having a similar problem with a strong ale I brewed 2 weeks ago. Started out at 1062, and when I racked after the krausen had fallen, it was about 1023. I aerated heaps and pitched plenty of yeast, but I was using 1068 ESB, which only has 67-71% apparent attenuation. I dont have a calculator handy, but this appears to be only about 60%. Has anyone used this yeast before, and can I expect better attenuation than this? There are no bubbles on the surface in secondary, so I am resigned to the fact it may not get any lower, making my "strong ale" not all that strong! At least it tasted good...
Trent

Trent said:
I am also having a similar problem with a strong ale I brewed 2 weeks ago. Started out at 1062, and when I racked after the krausen had fallen, it was about 1023. I aerated heaps and pitched plenty of yeast, but I was using 1068 ESB, which only has 67-71% apparent attenuation. I dont have a calculator handy, but this appears to be only about 60%. Has anyone used this yeast before, and can I expect better attenuation than this? There are no bubbles on the surface in secondary, so I am resigned to the fact it may not get any lower, making my "strong ale" not all that strong! At least it tasted good...
Trent
[post="66264"][/post]​

G'day Trent,

Sounds like you might have racked a touch early? Hope it still comes down a bit for you,

Shawn.

G'day questioners,

Just a thought... From my experience, I would be inclined to rouse the yeast by giving the fermentor a gentle swirl.

This may not work for ESB 1968 that has already flocc'd.

Definitely worth a try.

Over a longish period, with daily rousing, I was able to get a dry yeast (with dry enzyme) to produce a wort of about 1010 from an initial 1100ish (with a fair whack of adjunct - golden syrup). The beer was crap, but maybe it still needs another 10 or so years b4 it's drinkable?
Darn those dodgy recipes from the web :D

Seth out

thanks for the replies guys, i didnt airate my second lot of yeast gough as i thought it might give the beer a funny taste with getting air into it,maybe i should have,anyway still not happy with the 34/70 i wanted a crisp lager style beer now i will have an ale with no real name i guess,still it might be okay ill keep you all posted on outcome on this one
fergi

Back