Trolls And Other Furry Animals.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
I haven't post for awhile and with good reason. On most of the lists I contribute to a large number of the posts here would be regarded as trolls or at best bandwith wasting.

Obviously many of you have never encountered "google" because many of the questions are repaeats of ones days before.

This is a wonderful forum but I wonder if it needs a good dose of sanitiser to get rid of the crap that has permeated most of the posts.

Many start out serious and end up a waste of bandwidth.

Just a tip on asking questions -- let google be your friend and if you cannot find some information post to the forum and say " I have searched the web but need some help" or similar.

I don't wear a flame suit, have never needed one and I'm tired of reading rubbish from people who consider they are approaching funny.

Please note -- there are no smileys --- I'm serious in this post.

Steve.

I'm only new on this forum, but I've been a regular participant on others.

Bandwidth is cheap.

Questions are good. Communication is good. Let the new guys answer the old questions. Something interesting might crop up.

Personally, I have never subscribed to the "don't let anyone in until they're all experts like us" mentality.

Just my 2c.

Wake up with a headache this morning did we Chiller?

some good points chiller but im a bit concerned with the use google first one.sure its a help but at the end of the day if all used this then maybe this forum would become very quiet with very few postings.no need for ahb if we searched google for the answers. ;)

cheers
big d

Using google doesn't bring up anything from this site, unless you actually type in "aussie home brewer", then it takes you to the home page.
Perhaps Chiller meant the onscreen search box?

Wasn't going to reply, but can't help myself.

I too, am new to this forum and ALWAYS think twice before posting for fear of wasting someones time. I use google and the search button on most occasions.

In the event that some one posts a repeat question, I have witnessed countless times people replying like.....
"if you enter "cfwc" in to the search/google you will find etc etc etc"
Perfectly polite and no one is offended.

If you access a thread that is a repeat or doesn't interest you, then move on - simple !!

If you think that this forum should only be for experienced brewers who will not ask repeat questions (or if it's really pissing you off for what ever reason) then PM the administrators and if they want to change it to keep your interest then so be it.
God knows, this very subject was extensively canvassed recently.

Cheers

There is a huge amount of information about brewing on this forum.

When a newer brewer lobs onto this forum, they have no idea in which section to wade to get the answers, so they start a new thread off.

"Hi, my name is Freddie, and I have just bought a Coopers Microbrewery and put down a Coopers Pale Ale and a packet of brewing sugar and I don't think it is working right, as the airlock is not working.

"Should I tip it out and what is a good recipe for my next beer."

Fortunately, someone patiently answers them, the newbie works out how to access the information on this forum and everyone is happy. Most people are happy to help when someone has shown that they have already looked for the answers, but to keep answering the same thing in a new thread is annoying.

Where to go for information: In each forum, there are "airlocked" items. Read them.

Go to the links page. There are heaps of good brew sites to keep a surfer entertained for days.

As Chiller said, google is the tool to use for many questions, be they beer based or not. Just enter a few key words into the google search field and refine if necessary. Also, AHB has a search engine, use this too.

Bandwidth is cheap.

Answer, life is too short to waste on stupid threads.

There are people that will go through life insisting on not reading the manuals. These people then insist on making a huge amount of noise till someone helps them.

Must be time for a snob all grain versus dump and stir fermentation assistant thread.

pint of lager said:
Must be time for a snob all grain versus dump and stir fermentation assistant thread.
[post="50174"][/post]​

Admittedly, I am just finishing of the last few bottles of an AG i did in early Jan. The taste is superior to any Kit I have made myself or tasted anywhere.
Thats why I am desperatley trying to get the AG setup completed.

cheers
johnno

Why not create a newbie forum, K&K forum and a full grain, so elitists, that don't like seeing multiple posts by newbies, can snob it in there preferred forum. I believe in the search engine and like people to use it, but there are times when search engines don't find what you want. Sometimes, it is a spin on a thread that really has no relevance to what you are looking for, but could be found in a thread somewhere else. And the other thing, backing up my suggestion, is there is a lot of confusion with the subjects. I would like to find some nice K&K recipes, but most of the times, they end up being part mash or full grain recipes. Not everyone wants to jump into those recipes, especially me, since I have nearly completed my first batch. Other forums, that I am subscribed to actually have a newbies area and some experienced people like to help where they can.

Macr
Who was going to ask a question about a Brewcraft recipe, but is now afraid to ask!

chiller said:
This is a wonderful forum but I wonder if it needs a good dose of sanitiser to get rid of the crap that has permeated most of the posts.

[post="50129"][/post]​

do you mean like this one?

get over yourselves guys..

Well, here we go again.

macr, ask your question here or not, it's up to you. No one has died as a result of asking a question here yet, as far as I know.

If you are feeling shy, PM it to some otherlike minded members on the board who seems to share your interest or you think from their prior posts will be able/happy to help. That's how me & Phantom & Weizguy came up with the insane fizzy cordial beers, via PMs. Send it to me if you want- I still have a couple of kits in the cupboard, and have made about 40 in the past six months!

If you don't want to post it here, try Oliver & Geoff's forum- last time I looked they were well focused on kit brewing. Or email/ring Brewcraft- it's their recipe!

Also, you may want to check out some of the member histories for people's earlier posts- you will be suprised at where some (still-current) members brewing was a year or two ago.

Personally I have been in the metal working industry for 20 odd years and have made everything from robots to sheet metal boxers, I have made every thing in my brew setup and would gladly help any body else if they asked for help. I thought it was about making new friends talking about what we enjoy and making better beer, or I may be mistaken.

Lets have a beer

:beer:

Stagger said:
Lets have a beer

:beer:
[post="50185"][/post]​

hang about Stagger. i'll only have a beer with you if we're at the same level brewing ;)

i wouldn't wanna hang out with plebs 'n all ;)

*jokes*

Two things I like about this forum: 1) the active participation by brewers across a wide range of experience level. 2) The very friendly, chatty and supportive atmosphere. To maintain both, you need to be fairly tolerant of people straying from conventional forum etiquette, otherwise you will be constantly "imposing the rules" and badgering people and, ultimately, destroying the very things that make the forum a refreshing place to visit in the first place.

If you restrict questions to topics that have never been covered before, either here or somewhere on the web, then things could become quiet pretty quickly. One of the main functions of a forum like this is to help people out who don't even quite know what question to ask. Such folk need to be supported by the people who were once where they are now, not scolded for not being smart enough to use Google.

I suppose the most annoying habit would be thread hijacking with innane chit chat. Innane chit chat is fine of course, as long a it starts life in an appropriate thread.

My 2c.

Steve

Why are there so many people with <10 posts with their noses out of joint right here?

This is not about elitism or kit vs AG or salaried men vs the great unwashed. It is about the proper use of internet forums. EVERY forum I have been to encountered the same problem at some stage. If new people learnt to read the forum properly before they click on the "New Thread" button the forum would fill up with less crap. It's that simple.

I see so many posts that exhibit a complete lack of research and a demand for responses.

"I haven't got a clue so someone type everything up again". Read, search, clarify your question, demonstrate that you have looked and everyone here will bend over backwards to help. I'm not sure which particular thread has prompted chiller to post this one but regardless of his mood, the point is valid.

There has been some discussion off-board about a Newbie forum to get the repetitive posts out of the mainstream. It's up to dane, who most probably has a real life, to find the time to organise it.

Steve Lacey said:
Two things I like about this forum: 1) the active participation by brewers across a wide range of experience level. 2) The very friendly, chatty and supportive atmosphere. To maintain both, you need to be fairly tolerant of people straying from conventional forum etiquette, otherwise you will be constantly "imposing the rules" and badgering people and, ultimately, destroying the very things that make the forum a refreshing place to visit in the first place.

If you restrict questions to topics that have never been covered before, either here or somewhere on the web, then things could become quiet pretty quickly. One of the main functions of a forum like this is to help people out who don't even quite know what question to ask. Such folk need to be supported by the people who were once where they are now, not scolded for not being smart enough to use Google.

I suppose the most annoying habit would be thread hijacking with innane chit chat. Innane chit chat is fine of course, as long a it starts life in an appropriate thread.

My 2c.

Steve
[post="50187"][/post]​

The admins move threads as appropriate. At the moment there is no one place to put the the newbie questions, but there will be (dane??). This should help to make the other forums more readable for the advanced brewers.

I think that threads with one or two inane chat posters which are not enjoyed by the rest of the community have no place on a forum. It is better suited to PM or email.
Lively thread-tangential banter is one thing, inane chat is quite another.

PostModern said:
Why are there so many people with <10 posts with their noses out of joint right here?

[post="50190"][/post]​

i've only recently found this forum & although i've found it to be a great resource comments like this: "Must be time for a snob all grain versus dump and stir fermentation assistant thread." sure do make it seem like "elitism or kit vs AG or salaried men vs the great unwashed".. i understand what you mean by wanting to make forums more "readable" & wanting people to search around before asking questions but not everything is going to appeal to everyone.. ie. i bottle my brews - does this give me the right to start complaining about all the posts on kegging???.. & you should understand that having the search function broken like it is at the moment it is pretty hard to find the info your looking for..

cheers

Well I being a fitter machinist I see a lot of threads asking about stuff that to me is simple , still i am happy to help out where I can.
As far as having a little chuckle now and then . that I believe makes this forum what it is , life would be bloody boring without a laugh.

Batz

Good Day
I do search the web for a lot of the information that I am after. However for a fair amount of the information it can be hard to evaluate its value because in many cases (not all) the source of the information is hard/impossible to evaluate.
This forum (and several others) affords the opportunity to get opinions on questions from a range of brewers. Because I know most of the forum members based on on their posts (and some personally) I can evaluate the responses more readily than the vastness of the google search. So if I wanted to know the best way to use rye malt in a smoked porter then hopefully I can get some opinions based on recent personal experiences in Australia and elsewhere.
Now sometimes the responses might get off track but it is like any conversation with home brewers, you get a range of opinions and suggestions and you have to make your own decision in the end. There is rarely an absolute right answer. The forum does allow discussions between brewers at all levels which is a good thing IMO.
If you can help someone, even with a basic question, it helps clarify/reinforce your own understanding. You can avoid these topics if you wish. I avoid kit questions simply because I haven't made a kit for 6 to 7 years so I really don't have the recent experience to help but others do.
I do find it annoying when a thread is hijacked with trival (IMO) comments but I might be quilty of doing this myself once or twice (I will try not to do it in the future).
Just my opinions.

Latest posts

Back