Triple Helix immersion chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got inspired by the reported performance of the JaDeD Hydra wort chillers that are available in the US. Unfortunately the shipping cost makes them prohibitively expensive here. I built a wort chiller based on similar principles to the JaDeD unit, but with some key differences.

21827486_1873745012941532_6704234208623067136_n.jpg

I documented the build and what I learnt here: http://www.overengineeredbrewing.com/2018/02/triple-helix-immersion-chiller-build/

It's a big unit, but I'm pretty satisfied with the overall chilling results It used to take me >40 mins to chill down 55L of wort to pitching temp, whereas I've now got this down to 17 mins (with nice cold winter tank water - summer takes a tad longer), and able to chill below isomerisation temperature in about 2 minutes.

Efficiency.png

Last edited:
Have you read the various articles about whirlpooling your wort while chilling? Supposedly that gives a good speedup too.

How do the 3 smaller OD tube going into 1 larger tube? Is there an adaptor for that (didn't see it on the part list)

he drilled a 3 holes in the 1&1/8th" end caps and soldered the 3 tubes into the End Caps then used some reducers to get back to 3/4"

it would require some sort of blowtorch or a large power soldering iron / old school copper soldering iron thingy
or maybe mcgyver it with a gas stovetop / BBQ / magic wand / ??

Have you read the various articles about whirlpooling your wort while chilling? Supposedly that gives a good speedup too.
Yep - that's a good point. If I don't have the hop spider in there, then I do find that stirring helps get faster cooling rates. If I've got the spider in, then there's little room to get a paddle/spoon in there to start a whirlpool, so really the pumps are all I've got.

How do the 3 smaller OD tube going into 1 larger tube? Is there an adaptor for that (didn't see it on the part list)
As @Maheel said, I drilled holes in a 1 1/8" end cap. I also used a blowtorch to do the soldering. I'd never soldered copper before this project, so youtube was pretty helpful here. I wouldn't say it's a perfect job, but it's workable.

That's a beast! Make me one next time you've got a few minutes spare ;)

How much more water does it use compared to a single tube immersion chiller or does the shortened chilling time cancel out the increased water use?

Cheers,

JD

How much more water does it use compared to a single tube immersion chiller or does the shortened chilling time cancel out the increased water use?

Cheers,

JD

I'm guessing the sheer heat exchange from wort to the metric tonne of copper in that thing probably negates the use of water at all..

Cheers,

JD
It's still the same size input/output pipe, so it uses the same amount of water as a single coil chiller run for the same length of time. So with the shortened cooling time, it uses less water.

Back