Trip Through Newcastle To Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
I know this has come up in previous posts, but looking for top suggestions for beer places to visit briefly on a fast trip to Sydney from the North Coast.

I know about the 2 breweries at Port Macquarie, and Murrays at Port Stephens. Murrays seems a little off the track (about 25k's off the Pacific Highway, so may give this a miss).

1) Any good craft bottleshops I should visit? So far Warners At The Bay is on my list 2) Any recommended places where uncommon beers can be had on tap? (in the style of Archive etc, or something else) 3) Any other beer related places worth a visit?

Have all the books & maps, so any personal recommendations sought.

I went to Warners and Murrays yesterday. I would be bankrupt 100 times over if I were to sample everything available at Warners.
Doubt you'll find anything much in Sydney that you can't find at Warners. (except for locally brewed beers on tap at their respected brewpubs)

a little of the track....your driving from Grafton>>>> if your making the trip 25km is another 10 mins in the car and for what you will get at the Bobs Farm will be well worth it, eg Brewery tours are daily at 2pm, see link.

http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/brewery/brewery.php

There is a another place at Newcastle called The Albion (google it) they have about 10 or 12 taps of Australian craft beer and they're unreal>>they buy there bottle through Warners at the bay i have heard but its is a pub with restaurant and good quality.

my 2c.

murrays is nothing off the way, its about an hour detour for me when i go up and visit the olds in taree but thats with me stopping for lunch.

Albion Hotel (on the Pacific Highway in Wickham) has 20 (I think) craft brews on tap and two hand pumps. Has a killer selection of bottled beer, too. You won't find a VB or Tooheys in the place. There's a bottle shop next door that is also well stocked.

Marks Home Brew is also in Newcastle. Murray's is well worth the visit. As is Potters Brewery - although Potters is off the beaten track a touch.

Or call in to my place (time/date dependent). Two beers on tap and a number of bottled Christmas Lotto winnings still available.

murrays is nothing off the way, its about an hour detour for me when i go up and visit the olds in taree but thats with me stopping for lunch.

Hi Barls,

I agree, just not sure if I can fit the detour in on this trip.

25km is another 10 mins in the car
Only if you drive at 150kph.

There's also a Murrays in Manly (Sydney northern side) - which could be an option depending on where you are going to be.

There's also a Murrays in Manly (Sydney northern side) - which could be an option depending on where you are going to be.

Yes, I was thinking of Murrays in Sydney, though there would be a few beer cafes to choose from including 4Pines in that area. Murrays seems to have a few bottled beers that I have not encountered in local bottleshops. I am thinking if buying some of these from Murrays in Sydney to take home, that the prices will be at Cafe cost, rather than the $3 per stubby mark found at the Brewery?

I just looked up the Albion at Wickham, and they appear to have a pretty decent range of beers on tap - Rogue, Hunter Christmas Beer, Double Red Ales, Kreiks - though they do advise these can change daily. Definite stop of I think. The bottle shop that was mentioned, is it part of the Albion?

For when in Sydney, I see that Harts Pub (176 Cumberland St, The Rocks) has a decent range of non standard beers on tap.

Anyone been here, or able to suggest something better in the heart of Sydney?

Harts is well worth a visit, one of my favourite pubs. 12 craft beers on tap at all times. Lord Nelson in the Rocks is good too, they brew on site.

i hear spooning goats is good but havent been there. harts is good you can get a good feed there.
other than that theres the sydney brewery( formally the schwartz brewery and macquarie hotel)

Re: bottle shop. Not sure if its part of it or not, but they have a great selection of (mostly) Australian craft beers.

Yes, I was thinking of Murrays in Sydney, though there would be a few beer cafes to choose from including 4Pines in that area. Murrays seems to have a few bottled beers that I have not encountered in local bottleshops. I am thinking if buying some of these from Murrays in Sydney to take home, that the prices will be at Cafe cost, rather than the $3 per stubby mark found at the Brewery?

I just looked up the Albion at Wickham, and they appear to have a pretty decent range of beers on tap - Rogue, Hunter Christmas Beer, Double Red Ales, Kreiks - though they do advise these can change daily. Definite stop of I think. The bottle shop that was mentioned, is it part of the Albion?
Pretty sure Murray's beers are a bit more than $3 at the brewery
a 4 pack of Big Wednesday IPA cost me $17 IIRC
If murrays at manly has the pumpkin beer on tap still, give it a go, It's probably the best pumpkin beer i've tried yet

If you were thinking about it, I'd give The Pumphouse a miss, the wife and i went there and weren't really at all impressed
the beer list was great, but the service and prices were terrible
Plus being from Grafton, if you're a country boy like me, you might feel a bit out of place and uncomfortable in that sort of setting

Agree with Sp0rk re Pumphouse. Went there recently and service was shit, plus half the beers on the list weren't available.

I was trying o be convincing :D

Pubs in Sydney:
Harts
Taphouse
Union (Newtown - but worth the trek)
Sydney Brewhouse (used to be Schwartz Brewery - brew on site and all the house beers are $3 5-7 on weekdays)
Lord Nelson

Pumphouse and Redoak are more expensive, and imo less interesting than the above.

Mojo's record bar on York St often has a good mix, mostly bottle though. But the best place that opened recently is Frankie's Pizza on Hunter St, excellent selection on tap, and a bottle list that is extensive - with cheap pizza to boot!

Back