Tricks to a high gravity brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper80

Reaction score
Hi guys. I usually brew a double batch of 44lts. I recently got a 70/80 lt stainless conical and thought I could up the quantity to three kegs 66lt. I have standard commercial keg as my mash tun and my kettle is the same with another half welded on top of it. I did a brew last weekend but it very bland and astringent. I upped the beer smith to 66lt, backed off the efficiency a few percent also. Still a pretty average drop unfortunately. Any tips please?

High gravity what say 1060 (high for me) you need about 18kg grain.
You have a 50 litre mash tun, unless you are in to turbid mashing (the origin of lambic actually all about a tax based on mash tun size) its going to be difficult.
Its going top take a lot of sparging and there is a pointer to astringency, well wateriness at best.
66 litres from a 75 litre boiler, again, difficult, you either need to top up post boil or simmer.

K

High gravity what say 1060 (high for me) you need about 18kg grain.
You have a 50 litre mash tun, unless you are in to turbid mashing (the origin of lambic actually all about a tax based on mash tun size) its going to be difficult.
Its going top take a lot of sparging and there is a pointer to astringency, well wateriness at best.
66 litres from a 75 litre boiler, again, difficult, you either need to top up post boil or simmer.

K

I topped up with 20 litres of boiled water with a ph of 5.4. I just went about my brew as a 44 lt regular brew day, but had the grain bill for 66lt and then forced the boiled 20lt into my kettle after the work had chilled to 18degrees while I was racking off into the fermenter when there was enough space available.

I think you are better off making your kettle your mash tun and getting a new kettle of 90l or so.

The efficiency your dropping with what you are intending to do Will pay for the kettle over time. Also far easier process.

I’m confused as hell here... why would a 50L mash tun be too small for ca. 80L boil volume? Is it to do with surface area of the grain bed?

Mash tun would be ok with 2 batch sparges. The kettle is too small is what I was aiming at.

Latest posts

Back