Trial Brew Using Amarillo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
just tasted my ag brew using amarillo hops for flavouring/aroma from the primary.must say its very fruity on the palate and nose and so far im very impressed.ive only used 50 grams and out of this have saved a small amount to dry hop.
i wont divulge the full recipe yet incase it goes balls up but did use chinook for bittering and thanks to tda (cheers mate) used danstar nottingham ale yeast.
tda is not to sure of his variation using this hop so hopefully it will give one and all who wish to try it a few perspectives of what you can expect.tda is i believe a few more weeks down the track with his brew so it will be interesting on the final outcome.
my fingers are crossed that i reach the ultimate apa that i really like.

cheers
big d B)

How's it feel to be a guinea pig Big D.

Give me a call huh!

Amarillo now in stock folks! Have a look at the new on-line shop at www.brewgoliath.com.au

Regards
Dave

You can count on me to try some Dave , will be doing a hop stock up when I visit the shop

New shop on the web looks great , will only get better I am sure

I used the amarillo for bittering only in an "Amarillo Alt".
I will be lagering the brew for 6 weeks before I can offer an opinion. Tasting out of the secondary seems bitter but there is almost 80% of Munich Malt in there to balance it out. I will post a report when it's kegged and gassed.

C&B
TDA

always willing to be a brew guinea pig. ;)
will ring on monday/tuesday dave.

cheers
big d

just got my greasy hands on 500g of amarillo.
I will be using simcoe for the most of the bitterness and the amirillo (a lot of it) on the end.
So far from what iv'e read on the U.S forums is that they are better mixed along side cascade and centennial.
some notes are the citrus is much more lemon like than grapefruit and not grassy like cascade can be. Also a few mentions about pine flavours and musky flavours and here's were they could be better mixed because i find the earthy pine tasting hops sometimes don't have enough spice and leave the beer a little one dimensional.
Although because it is a cascade derived hop iam sure it'll have some desent fresher qualities.
also it a favourite hop amoung a lot of the hop head brewers.

they main note i found was like cascade nice floral quality.

My question is SFPA? or SFIPA?
I know half way inbetween.
I'll let you now in 6 weeks how she goes. :chug:

cheers Jayse

Oh yeah the yakima chief OG 1.071 and a million IBU with 30 hop additions is tasting unreal.
I got full attenuation with 1272 which is a f.g of 1.017-1.016.
The melanoidin malt really balanced out this huge beer.

I mixed the amarillo with cascade though so not a true test of the hop.
But they smell and taste unreal.
Iam just drinking it straight from the primary.
You'll freak when you have a taste of this beer guys.
with or without 'randall'

Jayse

according to a good american homebrewer, amarillos are great in American Pale, Brown and Amber Ales

I will be making up some Packs for those not into AG yet that will feature Amarillo to best advantage, these should be available next week. Will do the C hop bittering/amarillo flavor/aroma mix in at least one of the packs, Chinook, Centennial or Cascade.

Jovial Monk

I'd leave out the chinnook JM it just over powers all the other hops.
Northern brewer or simcoe would be much better don't you think?

Jayse

Heh! I don't mind the Chinook. . .

Reckon I might make up an all-Amarillo Pack, that should show the hop off to best advantage!

Jovial Monk

jayse said:
Oh yeah the yakima chief OG 1.071 and a million IBU with 30 hop additions is tasting unreal.
I got full attenuation with 1272 which is a f.g of 1.017-1.016.
The melanoidin malt really balanced out this huge beer.

I mixed the amarillo with cascade though so not a true test of the hop.
But they smell and taste unreal.
Iam just drinking it straight from the primary.
You'll freak when you have a taste of this beer guys.
with or without 'randall'

Jayse
Save some of that one jayse. B) Sounds wicked.

C&B
TDA

jeeze jayse

out goes the brew swapping you sugested awhile back.
all my beers would taste bland after that!!

cheers
crackers

The melanoidin is powerful stuff.
I used it again in a porter and it is full on.
I'll do a pale ale with mostly amarillo next.
If it weren't for the melanoidin my yakima chief would have too much hops but as is it is unreal.

Jayse

How much Melanoidin did you use jayse?
I will be trying it for the first time in my Leffe Blonde clone when I get back from FNQ.

C&B
TDA

I used 250g i don't think any beer would need any more than that so i'd go easy for the Leffe.
It is quite dark at 40ebc.

Jayse

The melanoidin will put great red notes in the porter. Didja use brown and amber malts in it?

Jovial Monk

hmmm looking through some US recipes

seems Northern brewer is a good call, Jayse

One of the Packs will be an amber rye ale, shd be a knockout! And I will make up a partmash kit for this as well, also for a cream ale with amarillos. Right now is a good time to brew a cream ale

Jovial Monk

kegged mine just recently but alas ive come down with the flu so my taste buds are a bit wacky.out of cc it tasted unreal though.

Latest posts

Back