tri thermowell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H@wkeye!

Reaction score
Hi all

Buying the final bits for my rig. Have decided to go for a tri-thermowell for the HLT temp sensor. Figure the most important temp reading is not for the HLT but the transfer. Problem is, can't find where to buy one. Anyone know where to?

Thanks

Hawk

Since Triclover is a proprietary name, they are often simply called "sanitary fittings" in Oz. Tri (sic) googling "sanitary fitting thermowell".

BTW there's nothing special about thermowell construction, I make my own from whatever size tubing fits the sensor in question and a small bit of SS rod. For your case I'd take a blank cap, drill an 8mm hole in it and braze a length of 8mm tube into it. Blank the end with a few mm of 6mm rod, leaving some of the rod proud, then grind it back so the plug is about 2mm thick. The job takes ten minutes.

As LC said Triclover is proprietary so searching that name will limit results, try searching 'ferrule thermowell' that's what they are referred to in industry. I get mine from WIKA but there are plenty of places on the net to get them.
Tri-clamp search on ebay also turns up a few results.

RIght oh, still can't seem to find any ready to buy, so will have to make one. LC, sadly i don't really understand what you're suggesting. Unpack it a bit more for me? Sorry bit incompetent when it comes to this technical side.

Post a pic of the fitting on your vessel you want to connect to. For a tri clamp fitting you need to have a ferrule welded to your tank.
Below is what mine looks like. Its a 2" ferrule welded into the tank connected to a thermowell that has a 2" ferrule and a 1/2" BSPF socket that the thermometer screws into.
On other tanks I skip the thermowell and just connect a temp gauge straight to the tank tri clamp.

IMG_0584.JPG

If you decide not to DIY, which is always fun and half the point of brewing..

I ordered these off AliExpress which are cheap as chips and very solid. They take a while to come in though.

Ordered all my TC fittings on AliExpress- wouldn't have gone TC route if buying from Aussie suppliers cause it's so exxy. Couldn't find the exact welded end cap again but if you message the supplier with a photo they'd be able to make it :)

I especially liked the elbow with welded thermowell [emoji108]

IMG_0406.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back