Tri Nations Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi all

I was lucky enough to be part of the Tri Nations judging and all I can say is the winning beer was sensational. Here is a copy of the post from the craftbrewers site.

Ray

Guys,

Congratulations to Mike Heydenrych's Berliner Weisse for taking out this
years Tri-Nations. We should all stand in awe.

Mike's beer was simply stunning with a unanimous decision by the 4
judges. Scoring 175.5 out of 200 hundred is no mean feat. As one judge
commented 'Wow! An excellent beer. Perfectly balanced. Stunning.'

Mike's beer easily matched the style guidelines and was perfectly
drinkable; but the thrilling component was his ability to produce such a
technical beer that was so great to drink that made it the clear winner.
Personally I would appreciate to hear in more detail how he made the
beer and managed the lactic infection so pls. Mike let us know how the
beast was tamed!

The full results were;

* Berliner Weisse - RSA - Mike Heydenrych
* IPA - Aust - Mike Day
* Best Bitter - NZ - Tim Busby
* Mild - Christoph Zeifholz
* English Ordinary Bitter - Aust - Richard Pass
* Dortmund Export - RSA - Dylan Lotter
* Wit - NZ - Brian Myers
* Scottish Heavy - RSA - Deon van Aardt

As the champion and founder of the Tri-Nations, I have no doubt that Ant
will be welled with pride that RSA has made it to the podium for their
first ever victory. With beers like Mike's I do not doubt it will happen
again and again.

So congrats to all for making it to the Tri-Nations and as we sip our
beers this weekend pls tip your glasses to Mike!

Rgds

Scotty

sounds like a great beer ray.
looking forward to reading the recipe if mike posts it.

cheers
big d

Sounds like a great beer Ray.

Is the tri nations an annual event? - craftbrewers has a report on the first one in 2001 only, would be interested to know if it was held in the intervening years, and if so who has won it?

Edit Ok a google has shown me that RSA won it in 2004 also 2004 , still searching for 2002 and 2003.

Hi all
For those who do not know the Tri-Nations are judged every year after the Nationals.
The top three beers in the nationals are entered into the competition. The same applies to the top three beers in NZ and South Africa.
The judging is rotated from country to country every year.
This Year it was judged in Australia. The IBU's did the judging. We were a little slack this year and took awile to get around to judging the beers.
There is no trophy as such as it has no sponsor.
It is as far as I know the only international craftbrewing competition in the world.
BTW I won it in 2003 with a Robust Porter judged in NZ.
The recipe is here:
http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=1597
If any brewing company would like to sponsor an annuall trophy it would be appreciated.
Ray

See the South Africans are wrapped with the win.
It has made the Pretoria News

Beers,
Doc

Forget rugby, we're the world's best a beert
March 21, 2005

By Barry McCallum

You've just got to accept that Aussies and Kiwis can throw a rugby ball around better than our guys.

Take heart. South Africans are better at brewing the beers we cry into week-in, week-out than our Antipodean rivals.

Centurion hobbyist Mike Heydenrych has successfully defended his Tri-Nations home-brewing crown.

His was the final beer to be adjudged by a panel convened in Australia and "as the last beer to be judged it was not a decision of if he would win but by how much".

"Personally as a judge I have not scored a beer so highly and it was an easy decision to make," gushed an adjudicator.

"All I can say is that if you are ever travelling this way my mash tun is your mash tun and the quicker you can get here the better!" (A mash tun is the vessel which barley and water are heated to convert starches into fermentable sugars.)

In the 2003 Homebrew Tri-Nations, Heydenrych's American Pale Ale tied for first place with the Belgian Strong Ale submitted by Charles Cohen, another South African.

Both are members of Wort Hog Brewers, a "club dedicated to the art and science of making good beer".

Heydenrych, the current chair of the club, has been home-brewing since 2001 and now operates a 60l all-grain brewery from his home in Doringkloof.

As any home-brewer will tell you, work always gets in the way of your passion.

But Heydenrych has managed to combine the two.

He was instrumental in getting a microbrewery installed in the University of Pretoria's department of chemical engineering, where he's an associate professor.

A brewing practical is now part of the undergraduate curriculum and two final-year students are currently doing their research projects using this facility.

"The construction of the microbrewery is just part of a greater thrust into the field of biochemical engineering," said department head Professor Philip de Vaal.

Heydenrych celebrated the opening by brewing up a batch of his much-lauded pale ale, aptly named Troll Ale as the brewery was installed in a cavernous room underneath the chemical engineering
department.

He's also knocking up a keg's worth to exhibit at the beer gathering of the year, the Wort Hog Brewers' Summer Festival.

To design the university's 50l microbrewery, he enlisted the help of Malcolm du Toit, a senior trader brewer with beer giant SABMiller, and Moritz Kallmeyer, who owns Drayman's brewery in Silverton.

Kallmeyer founded Wort Hogs and is the man behind the beer
AltStadt Weizen.

Fair play too.

Like the way the winner's home brewery capacity is given as 60l, while the Uni micro is 50l..that's a micro-micro brewery! Gotta be a typo.

Backlane Brewery said:
Fair play too.

Like the way the winner's home brewery capacity is given as 60l, while the Uni micro is 50l..that's a micro-micro brewery! Gotta be a typo.
[post="49995"][/post]​

I think maybe the home brewery is 60 litres and the micro is 50 hl (hecta litres) :p

Beers,
Doc

The article also states it was won by someone other than Ray in 2003; possibly another typo.

Back