Trappist Monks Refuse To Bow To World Demand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
From yesterday afternoons free paper "MX" here in Sydney:

Monks won't fall into beer trap

Belgian monks are refusing to make any more beer despite selling out after it was named the world's best.

The trappist monks at Saint Sixtus monastery in Flanders are refusing to brew any more until next year.

They have been producing the dark-brown Westvleteren beer, renowned for its flavour and strength, for 160 years. But stocks have been exhausted by unprecedented demand since www.rateBeer.com named it the best in the world.

Mark Bode, co-ordinator of the claustrum, said: "We produce only as much beer as we need to finance our little community, and not one litre more."

Look like beer really is "the new thai". Good on you monks! :beer:

Jez

That's good to hear. It's a pity MSB coundn't have the same idea, as we all know how crap the beers became once they increased thier production and moved location.

Oh...and I'm not raising production either, you can all stop asking now!

Imagine you could get hold of a carton and put it up on ebay.....

you'de make a fortune!

The cartons themselves are cool wooden crates, and you're right, you'd get a bit on ebay even if it was empty!

I've got four bottles (of the Abt 12) in my cupboard, but I wouldn't sell them on ebay. I dont understand the hype. It's still available in a few outlets in the UK, Denmark and Belgium. Last time I checked you could still get a mixed carton from belgianshop.com

It's mainly the US where all the hype has come from, as its pretty hard to get there now without paying the huge shipping cost from belgianshop.com.

Back