Trappist Explosion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Been about 4 days since I brewed the Westmalle triple clone off the homebrew chef's websit. She seemed to be ticking along just fine until I got back from walking the dog....thick yeast all over the floor under the fridge and almost filled the bottom of the fridge. I had 2 x 30L fermenters filled to the 20L mark and fermenting at about 17deg and the crousen was busting through the gladwrap and shit everywhere!! Ended up chucking a lid and blow off on one and just scooped the foamy yeast out of the other. First time user of this yeast but noted for next time. You guys had the same crazy ferment with Trappist?

Wow sounds worse then 3086(I think thats the number?) the wyeast hefeweizen. Now I want to try it bad! Get any photos mate?

Gav80, I'll assume you're referring to Wyeast 3787, Trappist High Gravity. You're not on your own. This yeast is known for it's vigour, amongst other things.

Yes it is 3787 High gravity. I split the wyeast pack (Tony method) and pored the rest into the starter of 2L of 1.040 wort made from DLME let the starter go for about 18 hrs and tipped half into 1 30L fermentor and the other half of the starter into another 30L fermentor so I thought maybe I under pitched but jesus christ it just went for it 4 days in. The crousen was like almost 300ml high and thick as ****. Didn't take photo's but should have. I'll take some now and check where it's at from the sarvo

Here are the pic's but lame as because the action is all over. You can see where the wort is though and it just pushed the gladwrap out from the o-ring. Hope the top one doesn't blow again!

IMG_0446.jpg

Haha that bad ass man! Next on the list for me is a Trappists ale now :D

Jeez, that's pretty full on. Just about need a 60 litre fermenter for single batches using that yeast!

Jeez, that's pretty full on. Just about need a 60 litre fermenter for single batches using that yeast!
I thought I had it all sweet with the glad wrap and 30L fermentor. Lucky I kept all those lids and airlocks!!

All that mess means you must have done something right!

I've used that tripel recipe before, and the only thing i'd do differently would be to reduce the OG or water it down a bit. Great beer, but was a little too obviously alcoholic for my tastes. My notes suggest that 8-8.5% would be better. And give it time to ferment fully- 1.008 should be possible with the given mash schedule & big yeast starter, & wort aeration & temp control etc etc.

Also, if you're kegging and your feeling adventurous, try VERY mildly oaking a small portion of it too see if you like it. I did, and i did.

Enjoy your beer.

All that mess means you must have done something right!

I've used that tripel recipe before, and the only thing i'd do differently would be to reduce the OG or water it down a bit. Great beer, but was a little too obviously alcoholic for my tastes. My notes suggest that 8-8.5% would be better. And give it time to ferment fully- 1.008 should be possible with the given mash schedule & big yeast starter, & wort aeration & temp control etc etc.

Also, if you're kegging and your feeling adventurous, try VERY mildly oaking a small portion of it too see if you like it. I did, and i did.

Enjoy your beer.
I actually made it in my 50L Braumeister and only got to 1.074 OG. I was going to bottle condition half of it and keg the other half. Haven't tried oaking before but I think i'll try it without first then make a decision. It should come in at around 8.2% ABV depending on attenuation. Thanks for the info
:icon_cheers:

I actually made it in my 50L Braumeister and only got to 1.074 OG. I was going to bottle condition half of it and keg the other half. Haven't tried oaking before but I think i'll try it without first then make a decision. It should come in at around 8.2% ABV depending on attenuation. Thanks for the info
:icon_cheers:

No problem. I 50L Braumeistered it too, using 11.2kg grain. 50L mash-in, 10L sparge, 90 min boil, giving 45L post boil at 1.064. 2kg of sugar added during part way through fermentation added approx 20 points, so 1.084 total, when the recipe called for 1.080.
I think that your 1.074 will be ideal.
Higher carbed bottles tasted far superior to lesser carbed bottles too, & 330ml bottles tasted better than longies, for some reason. Longies seemed to retain a bit of excess sweetness that i didn't like as much. A great beer though- i'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Mikk

Brewed the same recipe again. This time I am fermenting in a 60L fermenter with 40L of wort. BOOM!!!! again it's exploded. I started with a 30ml split wyeast pack and stepped it up to a 5L starter (after a couple of other steps). I had roughly 200ml of thick slurry into a 40L batch. I pitched @ 16 degrees and once fermentation had started I raised the temp about half a degree a day for a week. About day three is when it took off, I was all complacent because no yeast had come close to penetrating the seal on my 60L fermenter and boy that was a big mistake. Came in on day 3 to a huge bulging piece of gladwrap and mess everywhere. I wasn't so pissed at the mess but at how much good yeast got lost.
I ended up just stirring the yeast back down carefully about 6 times as it climbed through the gladwrap. Yes i'll set-up a blow off next time but at the end of the day I do love this yeast.
I really hope this attempt of Westmalle Trappist Tripel comes close, im drinking a bottle now and bloody loving it! Anyone here come close to the one and only?

Blam states it's stats as:

Og 1.081
Abv: 9.6
Ibu: 39

Pilsner and sugar (over 15 percent fermentables)
Tet tang, saaz and stryian goldings, sometimes others.

Pitch at 18 and hold at 20.

I did pretty good with this one very tasty,
23litre batch
6.5 kg pils
0.15kg aromatic
1.25kg sugar added after about 4 days or so
74 g tettanang at 60 min
16 g saaz at 10 min
90 min boil
3787 wyeast pitch at 18 and raise it to 21 over a week and leave at that until done.
Give it a go, its not a bad drop. :D

Had plans for a tripel which I seem to have shelved. Love Westmalle and the Paxton recipe is the kind of recipe (including mash schedule) I would normally use (simple grist, complicated schedule) so might need to re-visit very soon.

Previous experiences with 3787 suggest a krausen monster - be interested to see how it's contained with my 'ferment in the cube with minimal headspace' technique.

Previous experiences with 3787 suggest a krausen monster - be interested to see how it's contained with my 'ferment in the cube with minimal headspace' technique.

I'm always safe with 50% headspace. The suggested 30% is bollocks. It'll touch cloth (gladwrap) every time with 30% headspace. I stir the krausen back in at around halfway to FG. Speeds up the whole process.

Back