Transfer Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
What the consensus (do we ever get one ;) ) about transfer tube. When i start sparging, how do i move the wort from tun to kettle (don't want splashing and it is a gravity feed system). Problem with that food safe pvc is its only rated to 60C. It would be nice i sose to go all SS piping but that seems a little impractical just yet :rolleyes:

what is the best stuff to use?

hi lou
i just use my racking tube .food grade stuff and no probs so far.no problems with the heat either.

cheers
big d

Ok. I've used my mash tun twice so far.(thanks big d) Its worked a treat.
I have just been letting the running run into the kettle from a height of about 45-60 cm. There has been a bit of splashing but not too much i thought.
Is there a danger of HSA at this stage?
I always thought that because you havent boiled and the temp is at around 70 C with mash out that HSA was not a danger.
I'm drinking the first brew now and its fine as far as I can tell. Maybe I need to be
more careful in the future??
Comments please?

cheers

Lou,
PVC starts to soften at 65C but when I weld it I use an air temp. close to 300C before it fuses properly so you can see that 60C is a safe recommendation.
I just use a length of 1/2" clear PVC tube which reaches the bottom of the boiler so there is no splashing and it just sits in the hot wort. I start the gas when I have 15L in the kettle to get a good start on the boil, so the tube would get up to 85 to 90C without suffering any obvious damage apart from softening a little.

Would anyone recommend a source for a good plastic pipe that does not leach plasticisers into beer .

Doc,

Are your HLT's like a large volume electric urn? I'm looking for a HLT at the moment but hadn't considered anything like this. Seems to be a great idea for keeping the wort to a consistent temperature with a bit of modification such as a false bottom, and all electric.

Anyone else using something like this instead of the standard 50L keg and gas or immersion?

Duff.

fella's, i use a length of copper with a kinco and mall adaptor which i screw into a shower head i scored new. It gives a gentle even sparge.

Duff said:
Doc,

Are your HLT's like a large volume electric urn? I'm looking for a HLT at the moment but hadn't considered anything like this. Seems to be a great idea for keeping the wort to a consistent temperature with a bit of modification such as a false bottom, and all electric.

Anyone else using something like this instead of the standard 50L keg and gas or immersion?

Duff.
HLT is a 30 litre hot water URN.
MLT is a 40 litre esky
Boiler is a 50 litre SS vessel.

Beers,
Doc

Back