Transfer Of Liquids

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Peristaltic pumps have no valves, seals or glands, and the fluid contacts only the bore of the hose or tube. Simple to install, easy to use, and quick to maintain.!!!!

Is anyone using them for transfer of wort?

Anyone know if there is a supplier in Australia that is reasonable price .

Pumpy

Not a bad idea, they have a lot of positives! The one big negative I can see though is that their flow rates are generally fairly low...

we use similar pumps at work but call them dosing pumps as they supply small constant amounts of required liquid/chemical to tanks.if you have 24 plus hours to move 22 litres of wort then i say go for it otherwise maybe not the most practical transfer pump.

cheers
big d

Periastaltic pumps come up every so often on ebay in the laboratory section of the "lots more" category, subcategory "industrial."

I suppose the flow rate depends on the bore size and how fast the pump is turning.

There is an article in a recent/upcoming BYO on making your own using a windscreen wiper motor.

Am unsure what sort of tubing is required, something flexible enough to take the continuous "wiping" motion of the pump. And this section would probably need replacing regularly.

But otherwise as pumpy said, they have many features that homebrewers want out of a pump.

Hi Pumpy, I thought about this but the fabrication side of things was going to get a bit tough, plus you have to have the right tubing (I'd probably pick silicone, but I'm not certain), a grunty motor to run it and then have everything go exactly to plan. Yeah the idea was a good one but I just bit the bullet and bought a March pump, should arrive today :D, temp rated, fully working proven pump right out of the box. This is worth considering.

Cheers, Justin

How would the clear silicone racking hose go? Too rigid?
I'm thinking this perastaltic pump is a good idea. Will have to do a bit more research and look at the manufacturing side of things.

Back