Tragedy In The Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
just went into the shed to start a brew and oh @$%^$t someone didn't close the fridge properly, it was a cheap $400 fridge from harvey norman, no warranty with holes drilled in it for
my beer taps.
never let me down before.
would it be worth getting it checked out or just ditch it, when i tapped it, it sounded like condensation was dripping on electrical bits so shut it off and the compressor would not kick in either, probably been running all night .
oh crap now i gotta buy megaswill.

just went into the shed to start a brew and oh @$%^$t someone didn't close the fridge properly, it was a cheap $400 fridge from harvey norman, no warranty with holes drilled in it for
my beer taps.
never let me down before.
would it be worth getting it checked out or just ditch it, when i tapped it, it sounded like condensation was dripping on electrical bits so shut it off and the compressor would not kick in either, probably been running all night .
oh crap now i gotta buy megaswill.

Ummm, not actually sure what the problem is.

The door was left open??

Not sure if i understand your problem....

not sure what the problem is either.

perhaps leave it off for a few days (sucks that it's over the weekend), turn it back on on monday or tuesday and see if it works then

good luck

-Phill

Close the door. Should keep the cold in that way.

Is the issue that the fridge is no longer working, or just that you have condensation on electricals or what?

fridge door was open about an inch all night, the humidity up here is about 96 poocent at the mo so it ran all night and sucked in every last drop of moisture from the shed, all electrics were covered
compressor nolonger works, was hoping there may be a reset switch or a replaceable clixon thingy(fridge relay)
any fridgy's that might know ?

I would unplug it and leave it until it dried out. There may be an internal reset due to thermal overload.

Worth trying anyway?

update!!!!!!
took all the plastic bits off and dried it with a fan inside, still no good.
then thought wy dont i hit it hard with a lump of wood :blink: .
well i'll be.... it bloody worked no i just have to wait 6 hours till my kegs reach pouring temp :angry:
anyone else need their fridges fixed , the old knockometer triumphs again :D

update!!!!!!
took all the plastic bits off and dried it with a fan inside, still no good.
then thought wy dont i hit it hard with a lump of wood :blink: .
well i'll be.... it bloody worked no i just have to wait 6 hours till my kegs reach pouring temp :angry:
anyone else need their fridges fixed , the old knockometer triumphs again :D

where'd ya hit it?

where'd ya hit it?
you mean where didn't i hit it :ph34r:
mainly the compressor, still gettin cold so looks like a six pack of rogers is in order :icon_drool2:

not sure what the problem is either.

perhaps leave it off for a few days (sucks that it's over the weekend), turn it back on on monday or tuesday and see if it works then

good luck

-Phill

+1

A bit off topic, but I had a similar sinking feeling last week with my Kegmate kegerator. It was leaking puddles of water over the brewery floor - a couple of litres at a time. I whipped out the three kegs and had a look.

What had obviously happened was that the door had failed to close firmly on the lines and kegs (it gets very crowded in one of those kegmates) and had popped open, maybe for a few days. There's a rear cold plate at the back of the compartment with a trough running along the bottom to collect water when it does its defrost cycle. However with the ingress of moist hot air the compressor just kept running and it built up a thick layer of ice that completely filled and blocked off the trough.

At some stage I must have closed the door properly, but from then on when it did its defrost, there was nowhere for the water to go except out of the front door. :(

It took about 20mins with a hair dryer to melt the iceberg in the trough. With kegs in situ you can't get a visual on the trough.

Keep dem doors shut :p

A bit off topic, but I had a similar sinking feeling last week with my Kegmate kegerator. It was leaking puddles of water over the brewery floor - a couple of litres at a time. I whipped out the three kegs and had a look.

What had obviously happened was that the door had failed to close firmly on the lines and kegs (it gets very crowded in one of those kegmates) and had popped open, maybe for a few days. There's a rear cold plate at the back of the compartment with a trough running along the bottom to collect water when it does its defrost cycle. However with the ingress of moist hot air the compressor just kept running and it built up a thick layer of ice that completely filled and blocked off the trough.

At some stage I must have closed the door properly, but from then on when it did its defrost, there was nowhere for the water to go except out of the front door. :(

It took about 20mins with a hair dryer to melt the iceberg in the trough. With kegs in situ you can't get a visual on the trough.

Keep dem doors shut :p
hi bribie , mine was definately an overheated compressor.
i think swmbo might be responsible but think i let sleeping (cranky, nightshift worker) dogs lie.
have you been on holidays? haven't seen you online for awhile.
oh well now i can do a brew at least , tony's lcba

Had a bar fridge outside a couple of years ago which got "wet feet" when our backyard flooded.
Turned it on the next day and it tripped the RCD. Let it dry out for a few days, tried it again and it worked fine.
Passed it on to another brewer and AFAIK it's still working.

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED A LATCH ON THE BLOODY FRIDGE DOOR

even one of the childproof ones that latch themselves would be allright.

Guys ... Mot sure if Anna Bligh allows the council pick ups ... but F me there a like a billion fridges out there ... Bar fridges ... and after a year long search I finally found a chest freezer .. holds 3 kgs .. perfeK .... Latches on Beer fridges ... = essential... and 20c on the top of the fridge for each beer ....Ted Bullpit rules !!!!

Guys ... Mot sure if Anna Bligh allows the council pick ups ... but F me there a like a billion fridges out there ... Bar fridges ... and after a year long search I finally found a chest freezer .. holds 3 kgs .. perfeK .... Latches on Beer fridges ... = essential... and 20c on the top of the fridge for each beer ....Ted Bullpit rules !!!!

MAtt!!!

how you been mate? been very quiet around here but you got to try the blue waffles :)

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED A LATCH ON THE BLOODY FRIDGE DOOR

even one of the childproof ones that latch themselves would be allright.
i need a swmbo proof one :ph34r: , but my bloody fidge has them evaporator fins built into the sides not on the back.
drilling the hole for the gas line was an adventure itself.

Had a bar fridge outside a couple of years ago which got "wet feet" when our backyard flooded.
Turned it on the next day and it tripped the RCD. Let it dry out for a few days, tried it again and it worked fine.
Passed it on to another brewer and AFAIK it's still working.

Still working for fermenting, but has some trouble crash chilling on hot days.

i need a swmbo proof one :ph34r: , but my bloody fidge has them evaporator fins built into the sides not on the back.
drilling the hole for the gas line was an adventure itself.

stick a hasp and staple lock on there with liquid nails and padlock it shut it should stay in place

Back