Traffic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cian Doyle

Reaction score
I have been going on other forums of late, where there seems to be more posts due to covid restrictions. I would have thought there would be more posts on here but it seems to be slowing right down, if it wasn't for kadmium, Grmblz and MHB (love to read MHB's comments learn something with each post) it would grind to a halt. Whats happened?

Mediocracy doesn't put bums on seats, I have had two posts deleted which didn't have any reason to be deleted, I have signed up to the American Homebrewers Association, I would advise to go there.

Mediocracy doesn't put bums on seats, I have had two posts deleted which didn't have any reason to be deleted, I have signed up to the American Homebrewers Association, I would advise to go there.
Yep, that's my place of interest now. Though I have learned a lot through this forum, for some reason it seems to be lacking in posts.

Well contribute more!
Ask questions, try to learn some new methods, share what you have learned...
Any forum is only as good as the people that put into it, gave up on AHA years ago, long on opinions, very short on listening.
Mark

I have been going on other forums of late, where there seems to be more posts due to covid restrictions. I would have thought there would be more posts on here but it seems to be slowing right down,
Are these other forums getting more brewing related posts, or more social media type posts. I don't come here for social media, I don't do social media.
A search of this site usually answers all my brewing related questions. New equipment/processes are well covered, mostly by sponsors. What are these other forums doing with all their extra posts?

What are these other forums doing with all their extra posts?
Keeping forums profitable. I understand that forums should really be just about brewing related posts, without some other interactions a forum becomes stagnant.

I think years ago when i 1st joined this forum along long time ago it was a thriving place to be

I would say Social media has played a big part in why this forum is quiet, specially becuase faceache is probably more mobile friendly then a forum like this
and people dont have to switch from faceache to browser and don't have to wait for a response

I prefer coming to a forum as i dont really have to scroll between the crap and biatching that goes on in social media

I'm here for the tech. Normally I wouldn't even look at this thread (because it's in "Off Topic"), but for some reason I clicked on it. Don't do social media either.

If I ever talk with any of the fine people on here (or any of the others :p), it will be in person. Over a beer or 3 :cheers:.

I browse a lot but don't post much on here a I am still learning and most of the things I want to know about have already been covered so a search is often all I need to do.

I do appreciate the input from some of the more experienced brewers, MHB particularly as you always have technical backup for your posts.

Yeh, just don't voice an unpopular opinion, banned for 99yrs? wtf! ROFL "wankers" Land of the free to do whatever they allow you to do or say.
Good luck with them M&B having read your posts I expect you back here sooner rather than later lol.
Yep, that's my place of interest now. Though I have learned a lot through this forum, for some reason it seems to be lacking in posts.
Think about what it is you want from a forum such as this, social intercourse? information? a place to go when you are bored, full of unsubstantiated opinions (yeh AHA?) if it's the first or the latter then FB or AHA is probably a better bet, but if you want informed advice this place is hard to beat, a possible reason for the "quiet" is the appointment of Aussie mods, due to time differences the American owner of the site (and AHA btw) didn't do much in the way of moderation, as a result a war (of sorts) broke out between supporters of two major sponsors, a lot of s**t was posted, complaints were made, and Aussie mod's appointed, a predictable result was the deletion of posts the mod's deemed inappropriate, and as the old saying goes "a new broom sweeps clean" they may have been a bit "enthusiastic!" and influenced by the "American" way, such is life, but a lot of valid criticism of products was deleted, and as such the posters have felt disenfranchised and gone silent, end of day as MHB says the forum is only as strong as the contributors, and I'm including all those lurkers, POST! ffs ASK! those questions, (no such thing as a stupid question) answers??? mmm.
OK, off me sand box.
Got a leg of a pig that needs attending to (if you see a three legged pig, I'm responsible) have a great Xmas everyone, yep mines f***d, daughter lives in Leichardt but had her firms xmas party in NSW Northern shores two days ago, and wife's family is Frenches Forrest also bloody Northern shores apparently, gonna be eating baked ham and prawns into March, still, would I rather be anywhere else on the planet? NFW!

Last time I asked a genuine question coming from a mechanical point of view and trying to appeal to the DIY home brewer, I got directed to a YouTube video that had nothing to do with my question and told to grow plants in it. Now if I have a question I go looking for the answer instead.

This place has had numerous ups and downs throughout the nearly 10 years I’ve been involved.

Seems there’s a cyclical nature to those who are the most knowledgeable who contribute and they often move on with life changes/jobs/CBF’d any more. There’s a few who cross over (MHB for example), but a lot of the regular and most knowledgeable posters (Thirsty Boy, Tony, Bribie G, Argon, Dr Smurto) who were prominent when I first arrived have now moved on. It takes time for new people to move in and take over that mantle.

There’s a few other forums which have opened up (I think there was a bit of Barney here about a few things and a few brewers splintered off to start a separate forum - I don’t know much about this, but others can probably speak better to it than me).

The KK vs KL BS has also turned a lot of people off as well. I know quite a few previous posters, who were very knowledgeable, who no longer engage here due to the large number of threads which got hijacked by those with vested interests. Thankfully that seems to have settled down recently.

I suspect the FB forums which are dedicated to the new single vessel systems are also taking a few people away as well.

I agree with those above though, if you want to keep this forum active and a continuing repository of brewing knowledge, ask questions, provide answers (even to new brewers asking things that have been asked dozens of times before), engage in civil debate and don’t be a dick.

I’ll continue to contribute where time permits, and while I don’t have the scientific knowledge of some members here, I have brewed hundreds of all grain batches so can provide some practical advice learn’t from my own cock ups in the past.

JD

Last edited:
This site has been so helpful to me over the years with my brewing endeavours. For a couple of years, due to family circuspantsers, I had to stop brewing, and so was not into what was going on at this marvellous resource. When I returned, I realised that most of the old mob had fucked off. Something had happened and well, as we know in life nothing stays the same. People ask questions about brewing and knowledgeable people provide workable answers. It's still great. I get a bit bored by all the new-fangled computer generated robot directions shit but each to his own. Stick to basics, pay attention to detail, share knowledge, and give respect to beautiful bubbly beer. What's facebook?

For sure, sometimes it's disappointing when you want to just read some brewing chat and there isn't much new.

However, this place is a wealth of knowledge. Search "<thing> site:aussiehomebrewer.com" on google and find the answer to just about anything.

Back