Quantcast

Trading & Privacy

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Wolfy

Reaction score
All of AHB can be indexed and searched by Google and all the forum threads can read without having to login.

While this is likely a good thing for most of the forums, I'm not sure it's good for the Trading forums, in particular for the "MarketPlace" and "Bulk Buys".
Often there is private, personal or other sensitive-type information posted in those forums, so I'd suggest those parts of AHB be configured so they are only be visible after logging in to AHB.

glenwal

aus Bier hergestellt
Reaction score
All of AHB can be indexed and searched by Google and all the forum threads can read without having to login.

While this is likely a good thing for most of the forums, I'm not sure it's good for the Trading forums, in particular for the "MarketPlace" and "Bulk Buys".
Often there is private, personal or other sensitive-type information posted in those forums, so I'd suggest those parts of AHB be configured so they are only be visible after logging in to AHB.
Does making people log in to read it really achieve anything though, or just give a false sense of security? Anyone can create an account, so limiting sections to people who are logged in doesn't really protect sensitive information.

NickB

I haven't had a C**t all night, Drinkstable....
Reaction score
Basically, if you don't believe that all of your personal info is already online and free-for-all to access, you're deluding yourself!

Cheers

Phoney

Reaction score
I think the only thing spam & scam bots are scanning for is email addresses. Which is why you should only ever use: me at example dot com instead of me@example.com on forums.

edschache

Reaction score
People creating an account and logging in isn't a problem (we'll just convert them to homebrewers even if they start out trying to steal our email addresses). The issue the Wolfy is talking about is search engines being able to index all the content.

Having access to lots of information is fairly useless if you don't have an efficient means of search through it. Let's face it the AHB search tool isn't exactly going to win any medals for result relevancy. The issue with stopping Google and other search engines from indexing certain pages is that members often rely on external search engines to find relevant content.

General common sense goes a long way when posting details on a forum. Using PM's to share more sensitive information is definitely the best choice. If you want to post your email address openly to forum members just be smart and do something like "eyourpantsd@mydwinkomain.com (to email me remove your pants and wink)" pretty sure between us we can come up with some great email addresses :)

Wolfy

Reaction score
Glen W, yes because then those forums would not be indexable/searchable via search engines and so essentially the content (and ability to find that content) to AHB members only.

NickB & phoneyhuh, I'm not just thinking about personal details or even email addresses, but rather that much of the content in those forums is best restricted or private to AHB only. I don't see why the world in general should know about the details/prices of bulk buys arrange by and for AHB members, and I don't see why the world needs to know (or be able to view) the trading forum that is for AHB members to buy/sell stuff with other AHB members. The other general forums that have brewing information, discussion and the like are different to those forums focused on more private dealings for and with AHB members and dont need to be broadcast to anyone with a browser and search engine.

glenwal

aus Bier hergestellt
Reaction score
I don't see why the world in general should know about the details/prices of bulk buys arrange by and for AHB members, and I don't see why the world needs to know (or be able to view) the trading forum that is for AHB members to buy/sell stuff with other AHB members.
Ah - i misunderstood, your more refering to information thats personal to AHB as a whole rarther than personal to an individual, and on that I do completely see your point.

The only real negative i could see would be it could make it harder for AHB members to search for the information in those sections (given how well the site search works) since they couldn't use the google search to find it. Though do any AHB members even search for stuff in those forums?

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
It does but Google doesn't seem to be included in it. A quick scan seems to suggest it is only targeted at suspected/known malicious bots.

Wolfy

Reaction score
The only real negative i could see would be it could make it harder for AHB members to search for the information in those sections (given how well the site search works) since they couldn't use the google search to find it. Though do any AHB members even search for stuff in those forums?
I'm not sure how the Google search works, but (since Google are pretty smart with that sort of thing) it would not surprise me if it was able to search based on the login settings which would mean members search every forum, and non members search only those view-able to the public.
http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/a...p;answer=156449

Just googled that up, maybe the forum already has something like this?
AFIK most forum software has the ability to set permissions on who can view what content, including allowing some forums to be public and others private (only to those who have logged in).

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
There are sections on the forum you can't read without being logged on. eg, brew food, bulk buy. Marketplace kind of makes sense to have open as it can draw people into the forum. I going AHB originally by searching the net for brew gear on sale, found AHB marketplace and then joined AHB. But I can see your point

glenwal

aus Bier hergestellt
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the Google search works, but (since Google are pretty smart with that sort of thing) it would not surprise me if it was able to search based on the login settings which would mean members search every forum, and non members search only those view-able to the public.
Unfortunately not. Google search isn't actually part of the site, its just a link off to google that adds "site:aussiehomebrewer.com" into the search string to restrict the results to only AHB results.

eg, brew food
That seems like an odd choice of forum to keep as members only?

brad81

Reaction score

Or after being a member for X months/posts? eg 2 months and 5 posts

Latest posts