Toucan Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_h

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Ive got a big party in a couple of months and dont want to spend too much time doing AG and cant get to a shop so im planning on dipping into the world of toucans.

I have the following.

2 cans of Coopers Lager
2 cans of Coppers Pilsner
500g LDME
800g Dextrose
Caramunich, Crystal, Biscuit
Perle, Saaz, Tettnager, Centennial, Styrian Goldings, Fuggles, EKG, Challenger, Hallertauer Mittelfruh
Safale, Saflager w34, Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522, Wyeast Munich Helles.

What I was thinking was to do 2 cans of Coopers lager with 250g of LDME with 15min of either Tettnager or Hallertauer with Saflager w34.

Im not so sure whether to pair the two Pilsners with the Belgian yeast and some Styrian Goldings or if its a waste of a good yeast and go with kit yeast and some more Saaz. If I do go with the Belgian then I may try and up the Alc a bit by using 500g dextrose as well and hope the airlock does not go into orbit

With both I was thinking of steeping 150-200g or Crystal in both and making them to 26 litres to reduce the bitterness a bit as I will only have 6 weeks to let it mellow out.

Thanks

I ended up putting the two Coopers Lager cans together with some Hallertauer Mittelfruh and the saflager, seemed quite good when I left it two weeks ago (away at work).

Im planning on making a toucan of the two Pislner tins with some styrian goldings and Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522, from what ive read its not really worth the effort to make a light candi syrup so will probably just put in 500g of sugar through fermentation (in steps).

Any thoughts if it should turn out ok?

Other options are to use some malt extract with dex or even to a 3kg mash of pilsner ontop of one tin.

Thanks in advance

I'm yet to try any toucan brews. I do read with interest posts like yours. If you could give a bit of a review of your results I would appreciate it.

Cheers.

Hi Everyone,

Ive got a big party in a couple of months and dont want to spend too much time doing AG and cant get to a shop so im planning on dipping into the world of toucans.

I have the following.

2 cans of Coopers Lager
2 cans of Coppers Pilsner
500g LDME
800g Dextrose

how big is the party? a bit more dry ingredients only around 10 dollars or so you could do 4 brews and age them plenty by partytime use the hops for flavour and have twice the amount of very drinkable beer..............its up to you though.

cheers: HBK

@roverfj1200 I will post how I get one but it may be two months....

@homebrewkid Ive already put down the two tins of Lager together, Party is for around 50 people (who will probably also be bringing beer) Im after a high alc Belgian and thought that a toucan would be a easy and tasty way of doing it, but ive never had a toucan.

Im starting to lean towards only using one and putting shed loads of dex and dry malt in so I can save the other tin to do a small BIAB with it later.

2 x Tooheys Dark Ale toucan improved with age was not too bitter but very dark have done a second batch used both yeast supplied.

Im starting to lean towards only using one and putting shed loads of dex and dry malt in so I can save the other tin to do a small BIAB with it later.

Just curious as to why would you want to use a tin with BIAB?...

Just curious as to why would you want to use a tin with BIAB?...

A while ago when I didnt have enough stuff for a full AG I ended up just doing a half batch and adding a tin, turned out very nice and was very easy. Ive only got a 20 litre pot as a kettle which can be a pain sometimes.

I still prefer to do a full AG but might do another couple of halfs with a tin.

what about...

Steep some Cara and Crystal for 30min @ 70-75degC
throw in the two cans of Lager and LDME
30g Fuggles @ 60min
20g EKG @ 15min
50g EKG @ 0min

what about...

Steep some Cara and Crystal for 30min @ 70-75degC
throw in the two cans of Lager and LDME
30g Fuggles @ 60min
20g EKG @ 15min
50g EKG @ 0min

Ahhh! Thats another good option! Thanks

Ive done some more reading and im probably going to try and do a Belgian Golden Strong Ale using,

3.5kg of pilsner
1 tin of coopers pilsner
150g Carapils
Styrian Goldings to 25-30 IBU probably at 20 and 10min
Table sugar in steps after primary fermentation

Aiming for around 9%

Ive already got 23 Litres of my coopers toucan lager so it might be worth some extra effort to make something im pround to see my friends drink, many of which have not tried homebrew.

I will do some more reading for mash etc and will post how I get on

Your friends will probably not thank you the morning after if they drink a load of your high gravity brews.

Recipes look pretty good though

Latest posts

Back