Toucan Question Of Sugar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had a read of the toucan thread...
1 do I add sugar to a toucan brew if I'm looking for a midrange beer?
2 first time I have ever done this, and probably the most important time for me to have done it... Didn't take a gravity reading start from. Is anyone able to give me an idea what it would have started at?
Brew is two coopers English bitter tins, with both packets of yeast from the tins, topped to 20lts with water.
Appreciate any help.
Cheers all,
John.

Two kits made up to 23L will give you around 4.3 - 4.6 % ABV, similar to Aussie full strength beers. So if you add sugar you will be getting stronger, and certainly not midstrength. Why were you thinking of adding sugar?

I just dropped a toucan into IanHs spreadsheet and came out with OG of 1046 and ABV of ABV of 4.3% without adding any extra sugaz.

Grab that sheet mate, it's da bomb :p

edit - still had it set on a 20lt batch

Thanks guys.Why adding sugar?... Never done a toucan before, and simply didn't know if I needed to.I have Ian's sheet, just have macros issues with the excel I'm running at present.Cheers for the info guys, the brew is looking good but hasn't exploded like the majority I've read about. I do use a rather large fermenter, so I'm thinking it's all good.Thanks again.

I have Ian's sheet, just have macros issues with the excel I'm running at present.

Yeah mate I'm having the same troubles with excel/macros, can't bloody figure out how to enable them ??
When I go to enable macros it asks me to change something I can't find !

So the toucan is brewed, but tastes a little bitter for liking (should have seen this coming)... I keg, so I'm thinking I could add something to sweeten it up? So I'm looking for suggestions and amounts to start with. Honey, treacle, molasses???? Any thoughts, tips or things to avoid appreciated.

Latest posts

Back