Toucan advice - yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuggetSA

Reaction score
I'm just doing a Coopers Lager toucan to make some swill for a party, used my last US-05 the other day so which would be better, the kit yeast that came with the lager or a kit yeast which came with the Coopers Pale Ale? Coopers claim the pale ale yeast is a "european lager" yeast.

Coopers Pale Ale is not a Lager yeast it is a blend of Coopers Ale Yeast and their Lager Yeast whereas the OS Lager has the Coopers Ale Yeast.

Six to one half dozen the other to me.... I could never really tell the difference it makes between these two yeasts. However, when I was doing kits I always preferred the Pale kit more than their shitty Lager.

Linky --> http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=1803

Given that the general consensus is that one packet of kit yeast is under-pitching, why not throw them both in?

mosto said:
Given that the general consensus is that one packet of kit yeast is under-pitching, why not throw them both in?
Seriously?

Yes. Use them both. One is not enough for an ideal fermentation.

Okay to mix the pale ale and lager kit yeasts or just go with the two lager kit yeasts? Never head of doing it before, happy to give it a whirl

I'd go with two pale ale kits to be honest. Of the basic kits you can find at Woolies etc, the pale ale, English bitter and dark ale are probably the best ones (in my opinion).

Sorry probably wasn't clear - I've done a lager toucan (they were in the cupboard, given too me) was just wondering on the yeasts. I've actually got a toucan Pale going in my other fermenter already. I've gone with the the two lager kit yeasts for this one.

Thanks for your advice all :)

Oh, right. Sorry, my bad, didn't read it through.

The pale ale yeast has some lager yeast, so at the high temperatures you ferment ale, it gives off some fruity estery flavours. Depends if you want that or not. The lager yeast is, somewhat ironically, a pure ale yeast.

Back