Totally Ridiculous Hop Situation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I'm compiling an order for CB and decided to do a quick "hoptake" to see if there was anything that needed replenishing. On taking the box out of the freezer I noticed there was a bit of icing on the sides and lid, so took all the hops out to clean the box and repack.

Bloody hell, is this normal?

Hop_Invasion__Large_.jpg

I'm turning into one of those Collectors that get a show on ABC. I'm ordering a heap of Galaxy and decided to do a series of about 20 brews using the same basic wort, and do single hop brews bittered to 25 IBU and work my way through the pile alphabetically. Should make interesting drinking.
For the lagerish hops including POR and Superpride I'll do

4000 Galaxy
333 Carapils
1000 Rice
S-189

and for the Yank hops and probably the English ones as well I'll do the same but with 1000 Polenta and US-05 to make cream ales / Modern Summer Ales.

Time to book the liver transplant :drinks:

EDIT OMG that doesn't count the 800g of Chinese Saaz in the freezer as well :eek: :eek:

Yep, looks just shy of my freezer contents...... SWMBO disapproves big time, but luckily enough I convinced we needed that 215L chest freezer for our spare 'food'.... ahem

Jesus. I thought I was bad with my twelve hop varieties sitting in the freezer.

Hell of a predicament to be in, huh?

I am not the only one who uses pegs for keeping the hops folded. :lol:

Random question, Michael, what sort of flavour/colour does polenta impart?

+1, my keg fridge has a freezer chockablock full of hoppy goodness.

Too much hops are never enough.

We don't use our freezer for much anyway, which is lucky because it has two 'crisper' style sections taken up by hops.

I only have about 7 varieties but some of them I have like 400g of hops, and some 1kg (Chink ones).

They'll last me for a long time I think. Plus I have vac-sealed flowers that are home grown in there.

The wife doesn't understand to say the least.

Yep, looks just shy of my freezer contents...... SWMBO disapproves big time, but luckily enough I convinced we needed that 215L chest freezer for our spare 'food'.... ahem
Hops are green, therefore a vegetable :icon_cheers:

Hmm, a valid argument that I'm sure will be shot down violently if it's ever brought up as fact.... :ph34r:

"Purple's a fruit" - Home Simpson

Cheers

I recently did the maths on a kg of PoR in my freezer: ~20g per batch, one batch per month (of a PoR beer) = 50 months, or over 4 years.

Then there's the other 2kg of hops in there...

Might be time to sell some.

I've just checked my stock spreadsheet and have 19 varieties of pellets - total weight is 4kg. However, 2kg is taken up by Amarillo, Fuggles, Goldings and Cascade.

I'm glad there is some space in the keezer to put all this stuff as there's no chance they'd be in the upright freezer in the kitchen.

A few hops there BG,,,Can never have to many

But why is the kegerator empty :chug:

bjay

Another Hop Hore, freezer full, around 8Kg. Why do I do it???????????? Now Craftbrewer has Bobek and Boadicia in stock Aaaarrrgghh!

Screwy

While my wife was on maternity leave, she thought she would surprise me by doing a stocktake on my hop stock.

8.3kg later she was not a happy person. Add to this the dozen smack packs in the fridge and 3 sacks of unopened grain by the back door.........I better get brewing.

Thought about doing a hop stocktake recently. That thought went away when I noticed that there were quite a lot of partially used bags. Only 4 unopened tho.

I'll have to do a proper stocktake at some point however. Probably after I finish using up the dry yeast that's in the fridge.

That's when I'll be doing a similar option to BG. Standard brew, only the hops will be altered to make for some interesting beers.

I am not the only one who uses pegs for keeping the hops folded. :lol:
Random question, Michael, what sort of flavour/colour does polenta impart?

No colour, but a smooth grainyness - and brilliant clarity. Polenta or maize of any sort can give a hint of DMS which is signature of some lagers and American cream ales etc.

A few hops there BG,,,Can never have to many

But why is the kegerator empty :chug:

bjay

The 3 kegs with the labels hanging off them are from the BABBs comp (just bottled off last week). I took them out to quarantine them for the forthcoming QLD comp when they will be popped back in. No other kegs full at the moment so I took them out to stop me drinking them :lol:

I have a confession to make.

... just three varieties of hops (by tomorrow just two) :(

But I do have a vacuum sealer B)

Bribie I got to your stage about 2 years ago and then commenced to only do mixed hop brews until I got my inventory down to a manageable level. Worked ok for the majority of hops but some I just couldn't find a use for, like cluster, and I just threw them out (4 years old). Now I only keep about 7 varieties on hand....

I dod find that almost all hop varieties work well in a belgian strong ale :)

Cheers - Snow

Bloody hell, is this normal?

Most non-converted people would look at most of the things in that photo and ask that question. Not us though, we looking at it and going "Yep got that, need one of those ......"

Haha exactly. I wouldn't be concerned about the hops, look at the room that is covered with home brew gear hahaha!

Latest posts

Back