Totally Insane Krausen On My Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvern

Reaction score
So I put down a wheat beer on Saturday night:

1x Coopers Wheat Beer tin
1x Cooper wheat extract
1x Coopers Brew enhancer #2
25g Hallertau @ 20min.
Danstar Munich Yeast rehydrated for 10min at 28degrees

Got everything to the boil with 10L water, did a short hop boil and then crash chilled the whole lot down to 20 degrees.

Topped up to 24L, good stir then pitched my yeast. This was at 8:00pm Saturday. By 9am Sunday I had a 1cm Krausen, bubbling away nicely. By 11am it had hit two inches. By 3pm it was hitting the top of the fermenter and had spilled into the airlock. I immediately fashioned a take off using some 4mm beer lines and 10mm outer tubing (Lost a grommet into the fermenter in the process! grrr) was this the right thing to do? (see attachment) Have since Adjusted the position of the hose so that it sits right at the bottom of the bucket.

Now have this running into a bucket of water and it's just going ballistic, I've never seen anything like this before! Laundry totally stinks of banana and clove (yay!) but wow just insane! Has anyone used this yeast before?

Insane_Beer_.jpg

Typical of most wheat strains, you want at least 30% head room & best to run a blow off tube as you have done.
Is your laundry kept at 20c? Any extra heat is going to add to the problem.

cheers Ross

Typical of most wheat strains, you want at least 30% head room & best to run a blow off tube as you have done.
Is your laundry kept at 20c? Any extra heat is going to add to the problem.

cheers Ross

Temps are currently sitting a bit higher than I would like (22-24) unfortunately I haven't got a temperature controlled environment yet, but the laundry is the coolest place in the house. I think if I use this yeast strain again I'll do it in winter!

Temps are currently sitting a bit higher than I would like (22-24) unfortunately I haven't got a temperature controlled environment yet, but the laundry is the coolest place in the house. I think if I use this yeast strain again I'll do it in winter!

Wet towels and frozen water bottles are your friend ;)

Yep a wet towel does it for me. If you rinse it out and wrap around the fermenter everyday it cools my brew at least 4 degrees cooler. Worth a try. Also if you have it sitting on tiles or concrete I find it helps as well as the towel (depends on your situation of the house and all).

Back