Torrified Wheat Mash Or Steep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shed

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

I need some advice please!

I'm doing an Extract batch with a few specialty grains (Crystal, Choc Malt)
and I want to add 200g of Torrified Wheat.
Does this need to be mashed or can I steep it with the other grains?

If it needs to be mashed, will there be enough enzymes in the specialty grains to convert it or do I need to add a quantity of base malt to mash with?

Thanks,
Andy

Hello Andy,

Your torrefied wheat will need to be mashed, with pale malt as specialty grains contain no active enzymes. Steep the specialty grains the usual way.

No cause for alarm, have a HBS crush say 300g pale malt, place that and your wheat in a small pan, add 1.5L water, stir to mix well, then stirring all the time heat the minimash to 69C. Turn off heat, wrap your pan up well in blankets or (if no plastic handles) place in low oven for 60 mins

Strain into a bigger pan using a sieve, sparge with .5L water at 80C, discard grain, strain wort off steeped specialty grains into same pan as the wort from the wheat & pale malt, add more water, the extract etc etc

Jovial Monk

Thanks JM.

Will the torrified wheat bring any advantage to the wort if I just steep it? or will it cause problems?

Cheers,
Andy

If you just steep it it will add starch to the beer, causing a starch haze etc.

Welcome to the world of partmashing!

JM

I guess I'd better get some pale malt then.

I can feel that 'slippery slope' getting a lot steeper..... here we go! :eek:

Mash for the torrified wheat, last brew using TF torrified wheat, it was 47.9% of the grain bill, worked fine. Because torrified wheat is air dried unmalted wheat, it doesn't contain the enzymes required for starch conversion. Due to the hard casing from the air drying, it doesn't require any rice hulls etc to aid in the sparging. Due to the proteins (which aid in head retention) in this wheat it may adversely affect clarity in the finished beer.

FWIW I use a large vacuum flask - 2.5 litre - for my part mashes - I presumed it's the same as a chilly bin.

Seems to hold the heat really well for an hour and saves me the vagaries of the thermostat on the oven.

I usually get up Sunday morning, put the grains on then cook breakfast for the family. By the time we've eaten I'm ready to carry on with the brew.

Back