Top Twister Pro-am Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the scoresheets from this one. Thanks to the judges, who all gave really detailed and informative feedback. :super: :beer:

I am afraid that I owe Doc and Les a big apology. I have found an error in the Wheat beer results where the place getters were not correctly sorted.

A certain Roggenbier brewed by Jye Smith in RUNCORN, QLD has vaulted into 2nd place causing some shuffling downwards.

Dang, just saw this now.
Just as well I saw it before the results arrived and I would be thinking WTF!!!.
My Weisen was the same that got third at the NSW comp, so was happy (prematurely) with third from the B&T.
No one hurt, and the keg is now empty :p

Doc

Dang, just saw this now.
Just as well I saw it before the results arrived and I would be thinking WTF!!!.
My Weisen was the same that got third at the NSW comp, so was happy (prematurely) with third from the B&T.
No one hurt, and the keg is now empty :p

Doc

Thanks for being so understanding Doc :)

Coming fourth is still pretty good and probably the best you could expect with Les and Jye competing against you ! :D

Dave

Good Day

Thanks to Dave and all concerned. Just received my score sheets, the most detailed sheets that I have ever seen. I am looking forward to examining them in detail. The certificates look great and the "medal" idea is great. I have judge some great beers in the past that have missed a place and they deserved greater recognition.
I hope to make it there next year :beer:

Mine arrived today also. Thanks to David and the judges for the great feedback.

Mine arrived today also. Thanks to David and the judges for the great feedback.

Guys,

It was truly the Judges that did all the work. I just strode around the room with a bit whip yelling "more writing ..... I don't want to see any space on those sheets or you will have to do it again!" :D

But thanks, your kind words are appreciated by all the team.

David

+1 for the great feedback! :beerbang: Also the certificates are great - my kids think I'm a legend!! LOL

The mailman has come and gone and still nothing up here :(

Been away and read mine this morning. Thanks for the feedback by some well known judges such as Weizguy, Trent and Goatherder. Even better that they enjoyed my beers getting a couple golds for the Bo. Pils and APA.

Very good feedback, thanks to all.

Cheers.

Got the judges sheets this arvo and great job filling them out :icon_cheers:

But Im a little disappointed there was no trophy of any kind for the pool room :(

Received the score sheets in the mail too. They were the most descriptive and comprehensive feedback I have received to date! The certificates look so cool.

Thanks again to all involved with the Bitter & Twisted Pro-Am comp. Looking forward to brewing at Potters! :icon_cheers:

PS: Keith, I'll contact you shortly re brewing at Potters.

Cheers.

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd update you on the brew day with Keith (the beer guy, who is also the head brewer) and Josh (the assistant brewer) at Potters Brewery back on March 10th. :party:

The brewery consisted of a 6-hectoliter copper mash tun/kettle setup with four fermenters, and two larger tanks in the cool room. We made 6 hectoliters of the Scottish recipe I entered into Bitter & Twisted. Mashing in was the most physical of the stages, as it required constant manual stirring of the mash as we topped up the tun with strike water and grist in stepped intervals to avoid dry dough balls. The plume of coffee and chocolate aromas coming from the mash made it all worth the while. Sach rest was the standard 60min before we lautered and sparged into the kettle. The condenser wasnt working so we had an open boil. As a result, Eileen and I took turns manning the kettle opening with a hose in hand in case of any boil over. The open boil eventually filled the brewery with a dense smoke and it got quite hot and sweaty. Luckily it wasnt a 35C day outside. The wort was then chilled via a glycol/plate heat exchanger and oxygenated in line to the fermenter. The biggest difference I noticed between a micro and home setup, besides the size, was the ease of process from the use of pumps to move wort (cleaners and sanitizers) around, and the consistency this allowed. The yeast was then pitched from above the fermenter, and the beer fermented to 1015 and is now largering. Not sure when itll be on tap yet, but I'm sure Keith will give us the heads up. Looking forward to sampling it! :chug:

We were really well looked after during our stay, well fed and well hydrated (with beer of course). If youre ever heading that way, I highly recommend you dropping by to sample the top beers and food on offer. On tap at the brewery restaurant if I recall was a Kolsch, Larger, Wit, ginger and my favorite, the Bock. The hefty Hunter Bock went down a treat with the Shepards stout pie.

Finally, I want to send a big thanks to Keith, Josh and Potters Brewery for their hospitality and for making it such a memorable experience, and also to Bitter & Twisted and the NSW brewers guild for putting on a great comp! :super:

Cheers :icon_cheers:
Chan.

Potters1.jpg
Potters2.jpg
Potters3.jpg
Hunter4.jpg
Potters5.jpg
Hunter6.jpg
Potters7.jpg
Potters8.jpg
Potters9.jpg
Potters10.jpg

Awesome, can't wait to hear that its on tap so I can try some. Heard great things of the beer.

Congrats to you both and again a big thanks to potters for the funding of such a event/prize. Really great to see such a event followed up by a brewday/ weekend away for the winners!! And also its great to have a local microbrewery supporting local events. Thats the way things should be..
Lee

Back