Top Cropping Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just top cropped a pro culture P10 Sierra ale yeast. Huge krausen. Didn't even settle out at FG.

Slightly off topic, but if you have a genuine top cropper then try your utmost to harvest the top yeast, not the slurry at the bottom of the fermenter. I've done an experiment (another thread) doing a double batch of beer with the bulk of the cold break going into one fermenter, and the rest of the wort with hardly any cold break going into the other.
After primary, the layer of slurry on the bottom of the cold-break fermenter was easily twice as thick as the other one, leading to the conclusion that so called yeast cake is really "settled out shyte cake that happens to contain a bit of yeast"
From now on if saving ale yeast I'll be doing it from the krausen.

Only the top cropping ones? :p

Seems like some good info is being passed around. Good to learn a new thing or two. Disappointingly i already was racking this brew off then i thought of it, so i got some top crop and a bit of slurry, but no biggie, ill try clean it and pitch it again getting the top crop properly next time.

Hmmm i m gunna give this a go with thames valley 2 next time i use it. Sounds like a good idea.

Slightly off topic, but if you have a genuine top cropper then try your utmost to harvest the top yeast, not the slurry at the bottom of the fermenter. I've done an experiment (another thread) doing a double batch of beer with the bulk of the cold break going into one fermenter, and the rest of the wort with hardly any cold break going into the other.
After primary, the layer of slurry on the bottom of the cold-break fermenter was easily twice as thick as the other one, leading to the conclusion that so called yeast cake is really "settled out shyte cake that happens to contain a bit of yeast"
And that is why I always harvest slurry from a secondary fermenter - I can't remember where I read this trick but I know I didn't make it up myself. My process is:
1. Leave in primary for 2 weeks.
2. Rack to another fermenter, chill for 1 week to make sure its really clear
3. Rack to bottling bucket and bottle
4. Collect clean slurry from secondary

Works for me. I don't fine any more, because I was getting gelatin in the yeast that i wanted to harvest. A week in the fridge and beer is nice and clear anyway, haven't noticed a big improvement from fining (well with gelatin anyway).

And that is why I always harvest slurry from a secondary fermenter - I can't remember where I read this trick but I know I didn't make it up myself. My process is:
1. Leave in primary for 2 weeks.
2. Rack to another fermenter, chill for 1 week to make sure its really clear
3. Rack to bottling bucket and bottle
4. Collect clean slurry from secondary

Works for me. I don't fine any more, because I was getting gelatin in the yeast that i wanted to harvest. A week in the fridge and beer is nice and clear anyway, haven't noticed a big improvement from fining (well with gelatin anyway).

Excellent idea, as the unwanted break material and any hops etc will be left in the primary vessel, and cloudiness in the secondary would be just about pure yeast cells swimming around and doing their thing. I've not done that so far as I was worried about possible infections because the green beer has been 'double handled' but I guess at the end of the day if the beer tastes good on kegging or bottling then the yeast is good as well. :icon_cheers:

Excellent idea, as the unwanted break material and any hops etc will be left in the primary vessel, and cloudiness in the secondary would be just about pure yeast cells swimming around and doing their thing. I've not done that so far as I was worried about possible infections because the green beer has been 'double handled' but I guess at the end of the day if the beer tastes good on kegging or bottling then the yeast is good as well. :icon_cheers:

Using yest from secondary isnt always the best practise as they are less flocculant.

Using yest from secondary isnt always the best practise as they are less flocculant.

So are you saying that by re using this yeast you are selecting for cells that like to float as opposed to clump and sink, and the strain can quickly 'drift'?

Whats that bloke doing with himself these days? Still madly obsessed with brewing a perfect english ale?
Last time I was in contact with him he was working shiftwork in a factory - I hope he's not making Holdens........nooooooooooooooooo......... and didn't have much time for brewing, I'd love him back on the forum. And Chappo <_<

Whats that bloke doing with himself these days? Still madly obsessed with brewing a perfect english ale?
Has now finished night shift and is easing back into normallity. Obsessed/obsessive as usual! :icon_cheers:

Just cropped a stout fermented with 1469, first gen. Thick creamy mousse like yeast!. Hope to keep in the fridge for a week, then brew a bitter, or something similar. Do i need to add cooled boiled water? or can i just leave it as the thick creamy yeast??

Hmm does anyone have any good ideas on how to top crop out of a 25L water drum (cube) fermenter?

edit: cube

You just need a spoon that will fit the opening. A large table spoon, clean and sanitised, will do the trick.

Yes. Top with cooled boiled water, seal and refrigerate or scoop straight into a waiting appropriate style wort.

I can confirm that 3638 is a top cropper, I'm drinking the results as I type.

Back