Top 10 Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread OP

IMO
Ringwood -like a pair of warm thighs around your ears
WLP 029 - dry as Bro
WLP 004 - an ugly duck, that turns into a swan
US-05 - the Steve Waugh of yeasts
WLP 565 - just yum
recultured Coopers yeast - a plucky little fucker

WLP 800 - haven't actually used it but anything associated with Pilsner Urquell is OK by me

main yeasts i use are 1272 for anything american, 1968 for anything british wlp 833 for lagers and 3724 for saisons. these cover 90 percent of what i brew with other yeasts being used more as one offs matching into whatever style im trying to make at the time.

I use both of them!

S-04 for my (occasional) ESB and oatmeal stout, and US-05 for everything else. (A/PA's and A/IPA's)

I did a wheat, with some wheat yeast, but was less than impressed. (but then I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers)

Might get some of that there belgian stuff and branch out one day.

I need to get out more...

Eavesdropping on Ross on Saturday, I heard that he uses wet yeast only one he has to.

I'm a big fan of the 1882 too. Missed out on it this time round, hopefully they'll release it again next year.

+1 on the 1882
its a great yeast, clean, quick to finish, attenuative, reliable, ferments at low temps which is handy for ambient ferments in the cooler months, has nice subtle fruity esters and doesnt scrub out hop aroma

i'll call it my house yeast until the stash runs out

No order

Forbidden fruit- great for wits, dark strongs, dubbles, grand cru and more. Would work fine for a tripel, golden strong or belgian pale but I tend to prefer a bit more fruit from the yeast in the lighter belgian styles. (FF is not fruity). Great for a belgian IPA.

Ringwood 1187- A great yeast. I fell in love after tasting a starter to check if it was infected, nearly drank the whole starter and ignored the wort!!! Great for just about any english ales.

west yorkshire 1469- similar to ringwood but not quite. I probably prefer ringwood but 1469 will ferment better at lower temps. If I am able to top crop I'll use 1469 fermented low for american ales. I quite like that bit of flavour in american ales instead of us05

Recultured coopers- Really good yeast to give simple ales a great flavour. I've been meaning to do a bitter with it as I expect it would turn out very well, but I always end up with 1187 or 1469 Ferment at around 16-17 if you don't want too much banana.

s04- pretty tasteless but it clears up quickly
us-05- not much flavour, takes longer to clear than I'd like. Works ok

wb-06- Not bad for wheatbeers where you want some phenol spice. I don't brew enough wheat beers so I haven't tried an alternative.

maori 514- often used as a kit yeast. makes quite nice english ales. Tends to have a bit less attenuation compared to us05 or s04. Great for stouts or even an esb. Just get one from a brew shop as opposed to something floating around the shelves for months.

Here's what I use mostly.
1056 American. (All American Ales) or US05
1469 West Yorshire recently
1099 Whitbread Ale
S189 Dry lager yeast

Next to try Kolsch Wyeast 2565. Big fan of Kolsch.

Nath

Wyeasts can quite easily handle non-chilled intervals, within reason - however the magic frozen gel pack is excellent. When Proculture was still going in Perth I got a few vials send over from Gryphon with gel packs and they arrived cold in SEQ. How good is that.

Recommend you try Melbourne or CraftBrewer suppliers and get them posted out using the Gel persuasion, you'll be home and hosed. (is there a comprehensive online SA home brew supplier by the way?)

Cheers

thanks bribie,

have used Craftbrewer before (particularly when i was getting started in AG) as i didn't know where to go, and just thought id go with one of the site sponsors - Cheers for your service Ross @ Co.

Born and raised in Adelaide, parents still live there, have a 5yo daughter with type 1 diabetes and have to come up to Adelaide fairly often. ALWAYS make sure i stop in at Beerbelly when i'm up to replenish supplies.
Have just finished my stirplate, so i do in fact plan to make the most of liquid yeasts so will definitely be trying some more out. Last time i ordered, i didn't really need anymore yeast, but wasn't sure when i would be in the big smoke again so it hasn't been a priority, but now as stocks are starting to thin out, i'll throw a couple of wet yeasts in the shopping bag next time im up.

Haven't used Nigel @ BrewAdelaide but i certainly do hear some very good things.

I'm a big fan of the 1882 too. Missed out on it this time round, hopefully they'll release it again next year.

+1 on the 1882
its a great yeast, clean, quick to finish, attenuative, reliable, ferments at low temps which is handy for ambient ferments in the cooler months, has nice subtle fruity esters and doesnt scrub out hop aroma

i'll call it my house yeast until the stash runs out

what i dont get is why wyeast state a need for a decent diactyl rest? through none of my samples have the diactyl taste to it.

what i dont get is why wyeast state a need for a decent diactyl rest? through none of my samples have the diactyl taste to it.

I must admit that I have never detected diactyl in any of the beers I have brewed with 1882, however one judge did in a comp last year. So it might be there, but like me you don't notice it.

I must admit that I have never detected diactyl in any of the beers I have brewed with 1882, however one judge did in a comp last year. So it might be there, but like me you don't notice it.

this yeast is all but finished within 3 days, and i gather you guys dont keg it on the 4th day, but rather leave it another week or so, which gives the yeast time to clean up

I disagree. Old yeast (and I mean more than 2 or 3 months) and/or high gravity beers (and I mean 1060+) will always get starters but I don't think you need a starter for a 1040 beer with a 1 month old wyeast unless you feel like it. Sometimes I have felt like it, sometimes I haven't. Need is such a restrictive word.

Not much of a lager brewer, eh? Need is such an important word.

this yeast is all but finished within 3 days, and i gather you guys dont keg it on the 4th day, but rather leave it another week or so, which gives the yeast time to clean up

i'll leave it in the fermentor for at least 10days. maybe next time i'll let it sit a bit warmer for the last couple of days. it must have been only a slight hint of diacytl, none of the other 4 judges picked up on it.

My top 3 are all wyeast
1056 - American ale
1450 - Dennys Fav 50
3724 - Belgium Saison

I use and enjoy:

Coopers commercial strain
WLP 023 Burton Ale
WLP 011 Euro Ale
WLP 833 Bock Lager
WLP 838 Southern German Lager

I think we need a thread for yeasts that were disappointing or you wouldn't use again. WLP 002 was a bit earthy for my tastes, I like mushrooms but not in my beer. Also thought WLP 400 Belgian Wit was a bit ho hum, but again just a personal thing.

I reckon i've tried close to 10 or maybe more UK strains between whitelabs and Wyeast. Pretty much loved all of them. Subtle differences, but that's what i like about them. I think Whitelabs Burton ale has been my fave.

US05 for anything clean and obviously US ales.

2565 koelsh is another fave, though i only use it now and then.

Not much of a lager brewer, but i have a Wyeast Munich Lager yeast i need to use. Going to brew a Helles for that.

With this being the early stage of my home brewing career I have only experimented with dry yeasts. I am yet to venture into the darker side of brewing. From my limited knowledge there is no one that stocks it in close vicinity of where I live.
With all this gibberish I'll get right to it

1) US-05
2) Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast
3) S-04
4) S-23
5) Re-cultured coopers yeast.

That is all :D :D :D

US05 (although i've been using wlp090 for the ast 9 months instead)

recultured coopers

S189 for aussie lagers

Nottingham used to be my favourite, but i found it stripped a little too much flavour. Might give it another run soon though. Like how it drops so clean.

In the fridge i got some wy1099 yeast cake, some abbey ale II and some wlp009. I really need to clean the fermenters out and start playing with some other yeasts! But when i put a brew into the keg its so easy to just dump another cube on top...

Is the recipe in the database?....looking for APA some inspiration at the moment!

Edit....better include my yeasts

US05
Nottingham -(I really like this as I bottle and it sticks hard to both fermenter and bottle, leaving my beer clear)
Irish Ale 1084
Coopers Pale Ale recultured

tried a few others wouldnt rush back

APA Recipe aka GPA

@bignath - we have something else in common other than Nelson Sauvin - I have a 4 1/2 year old with type 1 diabetes.

Goomba

Back