Toowoomba Extract Cans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potof4x

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a source of coopers (or other) liquid malt extract in Toowoomba area. I dont like shopping at the Home Brew Shop in James street.
I am out at pittsworth and the local supermarkets have all the hopped cans I could want. Have searched a number of the Toowoomoomba chains as well with no luck.
Generally I get my (dry) gear from craftbrewer, but dont want to mail order extract, seems silly if i could somehow source it locally. :lol:

Im not really aware of anywhere but the James st place. I dont shop there either if I can avoid it.

There is nowhere else unfortunately, the best you can do is buy Dry Malt Extract from places like BigW where it's slightly cheaper. You could then steep some speciality grains for extra flavour and it'd be better than many liquid extracts anyway.

There are a number of Toowoomba brewers who are All Grain brewers (and one guy out Pittsworth!) because it's the easiest way to produce great beer.

Do you want to only use the Coopers liquid extract or are you open to other forms of malt extract? As Daemon said, dry extract is a possibility. You can buy dry extract in bulk in order to bring the costs down. I suppose it will depend on how much you brew as to whether bulk extract is an option.

This store really does receive some negative press. It's an odd situation when people are forced to either travel or mail order because of poor supply/service in a town with a population in excess of 100,000 people.

Do you want to only use the Coopers liquid extract or are you open to other forms of malt extract? As Daemon said, dry extract is a possibility. You can buy dry extract in bulk in order to bring the costs down. I suppose it will depend on how much you brew as to whether bulk extract is an option.

This store really does receive some negative press. It's an odd situation when people are forced to either travel or mail order because of poor supply/service in a town with a population in excess of 100,000 people.

Put it this way i have only purchase one item from that shop since i have started brewing, All my stuff comes from brisbane from ross

Cheers
Ras

I was looking to make the extract copy of Smurtos golden ale. It calls for a can of coopers sparling goo (no drama) and a a can of Liquid wheat extract. I would happily substitute a dry extract, if possible?

+1 on that brew shop. Funny how it has outlasted so many others......

I was looking to make the extract copy of Smurtos golden ale. It calls for a can of coopers sparling goo (no drama) and a a can of Liquid wheat extract. I would happily substitute a dry extract, if possible?

+1 on that brew shop. Funny how it has outlasted so many others......

You could just use all DME in the recipe. I did this recipe a while back and it was delicious. In the notes you can see that that you go all extract and replace the Sparkling can with malt extract. I didn't use the wheat malt extract instead just used 2 cans of liquid malt extract. I understand how it's hard for you to source the liquid malt but you can just use all dry stuff. I don't have a calculating brain on at the moment but I am sure someone can tell you how much dry malt extract you need as a substitute for the 2 cans of liquid malt extract. :icon_cheers:

Drive down to Craftbrewer (do I get a discount now, Ross? :D ) and get 20kg of LDME for $110.

$5.50 per kg ... that's $4.40 per kg for liquid malt.

1.5kg of coopers liquid malt is usually $12 - you're getting it for nearly half price. Considering it's the biggest cost in extract brewing I'd say it's worth the drive!

YMMV, literally.

Drive down to Craftbrewer (do I get a discount now, Ross? :D ) and get 20kg of LDME for $110.

$5.50 per kg ... that's $4.40 per kg for liquid malt.

1.5kg of coopers liquid malt is usually $12 - you're getting it for nearly half price. Considering it's the biggest cost in extract brewing I'd say it's worth the drive!

YMMV, literally.

An alternative to driving would be to get it delivered. Up to 25 kg for less than 10 dollars. I apologise if this is starting to sound like an advertisement.

An alternative to driving would be to get it delivered. Up to 25 kg for less than 10 dollars. I apologise if this is starting to sound like an advertisement.

Call me lazy but I agree. I live 2.5hrs from CraftBrewer and regularly (every 3 weeks or so) get stuff delivered from CBer. I could drive but for the price of postage vs fuel it's cheaper getting it sent! It's got everything I need and has always arrived within 3 working days from money being cleared. Not trying to sound like an advertisement but it's as good as a home brew shop you can get! :icon_chickcheers:

$10 for 25kg?

Sure?

Call me lazy but I agree. I live 2.5hrs from CraftBrewer and regularly (every 3 weeks or so) get stuff delivered from CBer. I could drive but for the price of postage vs fuel it's cheaper getting it sent! It's got everything I need and has always arrived within 3 working days from money being cleared. Not trying to sound like an advertisement but it's as good as a home brew shop you can get! :icon_chickcheers:

No apology necessary. Craftbrewer is great.Now I know I have the option of using LDME it is a snack to get it sent up.
Will try liquid malt, also, just for shits and giggles. May have to cast the net wider than Toowoomba to source it or, heaven forbid, hit the LHBS...

poto4fx, the lads at the shop do have liquid extract in cans but it is of questionable heritage and if you ask for something slightly unusual, chances are they just put a fresh label on their light or dark tin (if you're lucky) as they have to get it from out the back and it takes a minute or two. So, apart from Morgans, it is not on the shelves in cans, only in silly plastic take- away containers.
My own experiences from trying to brew extract with their stuff weren't overwhelming, but that's where they will invariably try to guide you (the "you can't ever do AG and get clear beer, here this extract is just the duck's nuts..."- type bullshit, or even to 'water purification'). Generally I don't shop there myself, however when I'm tempted to, I usually just browse before deciding it was in fact just a silly idea to go there...

To be honest, I'd be getting extract from a more reputable supplier and 25kg freight for <$10 is quite hard to beat.

Sounds like you've got all the hopped extract bases covered, I'd just just watch out for close/ past BBE dates, as is the case everywhere I guess...

Back