Tooth & Co Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellnaf

Reaction score
I dont want to open a can of worms here, but has anyone heard of Tooth & Co? I was house hunting today and across the road from where I was looking there was a 50l keg sitting in the front yard, I spoke with the little old lady and she said it's been sitting there for years and didn't want it. I said I would take it off her hands to unburden her of such an ugly looking garden ornament, however I thought I would check to see if it was legal or not. The only info I have found about Tooth & Co is that they haven't been going since 1985, also not sure if anyone bought them out or not. They brewed KB Lager, Kent Old Brown & Reschs Pilsner.

Thanks
Nat

Tooth & Co were an old Sydney Brewery who brewed at Ultimo / Broadway and were the second biggest Brewers in NSW along with Tooheys. My Mrs was born and brought up in Ultimo and she and her sister walked to school at Chippendale past the brewery with the delicious smell of the boil wafting over the suburb. She can't bring herself to come into my brewhaus when I'm boiling because she is suddenly seven years old again :) They were bought by Fosters and the brewery closed down. You can still see the old building which will no doubt be transformed into apartments etc.

http://www.fosters.com.au/mediacentre/6E07...CA1929C43A7.htm

In the Seventies I used to love the old ales from there like Tooths Old and Tooths KB. Since the Brewery was closed they still do a few old brands like Reschs Dinner Ale, Reschs Draught, Kent old Black etc but these are produced in Melbourne or Yatala, QLD. and shipped to Sydney. I think Reschs is still a nice drop and always have a few when I'm in Sydney.

Perhaps the keg is still legally a Fosters keg, but IMHO it's probably more of a collector's item and thus fair game B)

edit: on my recent NSW trip I was very pleased to see that Reschs is still universally available all over NSW and drank it in Port Mac, Woolgoolga etc as well as served in nearly every Sydney pub. It's got a nice dry finish and some real hops, the sort of beer that Tooheys New only thinks it is. ;)

double edit: sheaf stout sheaf stout sheaf stout sheaf stout :icon_drool2:

Tooth & Co were an old Sydney Brewery who brewed at Ultimo / Broadway and were the second biggest Brewers in NSW along with Tooheys.

Was there a commercial brewery in Homebush Bay years ago, either Tooths or Tooheys ?

As explained to me by a LN bloke, it is now the property of Fosters brewing group after the buy out.

Was there a commercial brewery in Homebush Bay years ago, either Tooths or Tooheys ?
There is a pub at Homebush called the Homebush Bay Brewery, or at least there was.

A nice place to visit when you were going to a Kiss concert or AC/DC.

Not sure if they ever brewed their own, but I'm sure it's still there near Olympic Park (and not too far from Paddy's - plug, plug).

I liked their beer, which may have come from St Peter's brewery, or at least by taste comparison.

Sydneysiders, help us out here.

In the Seventies I used to love the old ales from there like Tooths Old

Amen to that, first trip to Sydney from Qld in 1977 it was love at first gulp! That was a beer worthy of contention for Australia's best beer title. Was really pissed off when it disappeared, I blame f**king Barry Mckenzie and Fosters. :lol:

Tooth & Co were an old Sydney Brewery who brewed at Ultimo / Broadway and were the second biggest Brewers in NSW along with Tooheys. My Mrs was born and brought up in Ultimo and she and her sister walked to school at Chippendale past the brewery with the delicious smell of the boil wafting over the suburb. She can't bring herself to come into my brewhaus when I'm boiling because she is suddenly seven years old again :) They were bought by Fosters and the brewery closed down. You can still see the old building which will no doubt be transformed into apartments etc.

http://www.fosters.com.au/mediacentre/6E07...CA1929C43A7.htm

In the Seventies I used to love the old ales from there like Tooths Old and Tooths KB. Since the Brewery was closed they still do a few old brands like Reschs Dinner Ale, Reschs Draught, Kent old Black etc but these are produced in Melbourne or Yatala, QLD. and shipped to Sydney. I think Reschs is still a nice drop and always have a few when I'm in Sydney.

Perhaps the keg is still legally a Fosters keg, but IMHO it's probably more of a collector's item and thus fair game B)

edit: on my recent NSW trip I was very pleased to see that Reschs is still universally available all over NSW and drank it in Port Mac, Woolgoolga etc as well as served in nearly every Sydney pub. It's got a nice dry finish and some real hops, the sort of beer that Tooheys New only thinks it is. ;)

double edit: sheaf stout sheaf stout sheaf stout sheaf stout :icon_drool2:
It's now a ruddy great hole in the ground, except for one building, probably heritage. It is, of course, becoming a large residential/commercial complex. It's very strange to look at it and not see the brewery gates, and not smell that massive yeast smell when walking past.

It's stamped with Tooth & Co, wouldn't whoever bought them out (Fosters) either try to restamp it or destroy it and use their own branded kegs? also if this is the case then I'm guessing it's fairly old and useless to them. Come on I'm trying to justify it, other than that I'll do the right thing and email them to ask if they want it back, as long as they buy me a 50L kettle for my troubles.

Nat

she and her sister walked to school at Chippendale past the brewery with the delicious smell of the boil wafting over the suburb.

I studied my Engineering at UTS, I can fondly remember walking from central down to UTS smelling the hop additions wafting out, particularly on a cold morning.... :icon_drool2:

I studied my Engineering at UTS, I can fondly remember walking from central down to UTS smelling the hop additions wafting out, particularly on a cold morning.... :icon_drool2:
Which engineering did you do?

It's stamped with Tooth & Co, wouldn't whoever bought them out (Fosters) either try to restamp it or destroy it and use their own branded kegs? also if this is the case then I'm guessing it's fairly old and useless to them. Come on I'm trying to justify it, other than that I'll do the right thing and email them to ask if they want it back, as long as they buy me a 50L kettle for my troubles.

Nat

You need to be careful here.
There was a bloke on here {might still be, I don`t know} whose self professed job was looking over backyard fences and peering thru keyholes in search of illegal kegs. :(
A bounty hunter, sort of.

stagga.

Yeah legal vs illegal kegs is a real grey area here. There's a long list of posts on the subject if you search a little.

On AHB posts that encourage stealing of kegs get deleted by the mods as its in the terms of use when you sign up (not that what you're suggesting is theft - it's a pretty unclear situation).

No one posting here is going to say 'go for it' either, as we wouldn't want to condone something illegal if it is, plus there's some dude from a brewery apparently who has checked on this site from time to time according to some historical posts, and also commented on some posts regarding kegs and legality. (if you're out there buddy, let us know on this one!!! :) ) The guy that works for the brewery pursues people mostly via ebay who are stupid and are selling kegs marked clearly with Tooheys and CUB markings. If you check the EbayV5 thread you will note a lot of illegal kegs have been removed from that site after someone has contacted the Ebay mods prior to sale.

You may not get many serious replies on this - simply because most of us average brewers wouldn't know or won't want to stick our necks out. The only way to know for sure would be to check with the brewery - call them up anonymously if you like. Or take your chances, it's up to you. Sounds like you've made up your mind.

Even old/faulty CUB kegs are recycled for scrap metal, (I even found the scrapyard they go to searching online and tried contacting them without success) to the frustration of Homebrewers they don't sell them used. The brewery won't, and the scrapyard has a contract to say they won't (OH&S reasons apparently, in case someone tries to re-pressure a dud one or opens a pressurised keg and gets hit by the keg spear), so yep, if the brewery is the owner they will have some monetary value in it and will take it, but only if its close by so one of their contracted trucks could pick it up. Have heard of people posting here and contacting breweries about picking up their kegs and the brewery hasn't bothered (the kegs were from a place like a closed pub in a remote location), and the brewery has said 'do what you like'.

Hopper.

Sounds like you've made up your mind.

Thanks for the info, I haven't made my mind up yet, hence the question. It looks like it's been beaten around a bit and wasn't sure if they would even want it back, pretty sure it's unusable to them, but like you said, OH&S could be an issue and they just want to cover their butt. Another AHB member has offered to find out about the legality of the keg, if it comes back as being illegal or unknown then I wont take the keg, I will find another way to progress to AG.

Also I'm glad I could bring back a few good memories for some of you. :D

Nathan

Well after all this it looks like the keg is going back, another ahb member checked it out for me and CUB would like it back, they replied with the following:

CUB actually owns the keg even though it is marked Tooth and Co. We took
over Tooth and Co in 1983 and that inc all their property.
We are and have had lots of problems with missing kegs.

Nathan

My daily walk to work sees me pass the James Squires brewery in Camperdown.....

Have to love that smell.....

As for the old Ultimo brewery, dog collar wearing hippy Clover Moore got a hold on it and decided it could become a "green space" hence the fact that most of it is gone....

Latest posts

Back