Tooheys Extra Dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevc

Reaction score
Sorry, but I really feel the need to rant for a moment...

This stuff is a nasty, watery, spewy tasting excuse for a beer. What market are they catering to? Perhaps it's for people that want to drink beer, but don't like beer? I can understand the appeal of a watered down "dry" style in the market, but the flavour twang in this stuff is just wrong.

I had a bottle of this yesterday, as it was the only option. The subtle, but completely disgusting flavours really start to come through as it warms up a few degrees.

I'll happily drink beer-like beverages such as VB, XXXX, etc when they're the only option, without a single complaint, but TED is on a level all of its own.

Why is this stuff so popular? Surely there's better tasting watery beers around?

And yeah, I know... "If you don't like it, don't drink it." Fair enough. Unfortunately, sometimes it's one of only a few options, or the only option at some functions. It's tough when you have mates that stock their fridge full of TED, and very rude to turn down a beer.

Do any of the people working to make this stuff actually drink it? :)

Can't answer your questions mate, last time a drank a " Teddy " was after some quality AG pils and the taste difference made me empty my stomach.

It Truly is the worst beer in Australia, i think its marketed to the 18-25 market who don't really appreciate a good beer. ( Except for me )

I think part of your problem (and definitely mine) is that when your tastebuds have become retrained after a while, a lot of the commercial beers that tasted ok now taste like a camel's armpit.

I had a pint of Stella the other week. This time last year, my eyes would have rolled to the heavens as I savoured the biscuity malt overtones and the lingering Saaz aftertaste. As it was, I thought "hmm not too bad". XXXX heavy now, to me has a mousey twang - if you have ever kept mice as pets you'll know what mousey means. Guinness draught was a satisfying smooth drop that I used to have two or three pints of at the RSL. When I had one at the members draw on Sunday I thought "how could I ever have liked this gutless weak swill, give me a Coopers kit n bits any day :p "

I'm off to 1st Choice Liquor tomorrow and might grab a Wells Bombardier and a Shepherd Neame Spitfire as I'm now into ales for the warmer months and I'm seriously beginning to mistrust my nose and tastebuds so time for a little 'recalibrating' methinks.

As far as the TED actually I had one on tap at the bowls club last week and it wasn't too excruciatingly bad compared to XXXX but actually tasted rather sweet to me, don't know about the dry bit.

Edit: doesn't the bottled variety come in clear glass? May have been skunked or left on the back seat of your mate's car in the sun or something.

I drink mainly pale ales, my own or commerical.... the bistro I (ONCE ran, first brew day on Sunday in 8 months) which is next to a pub, ran out of LCPA so I opted for a Coopers Pale Ale... Now this is the beer that introduced me to beer.... to me it was sweet, thin BLAND!!!!!!!! and nothing like a pale ale. So I agree with Bribie...

Thats good, I thought this was going to be another thread about how to make Extra Dry. I was all ready to fire up. Guess I will keep surfing the threads till I can vent ;)

Steve

When a man turns 60 he does a bit of revaluation of the finer things in life. One of the finest is one's ability to drink and enjoy beer. I remember a long time ago (40 years or so) an old feller told me that there was was no such thing as bad beer. At the time I didn't believe him, because I was of a similar opnion to those expressed in this thread.

The truth is, sure, there are bad beers. But only for the first couple of schooners or so! :icon_cheers:

Interesting, I would take a XXXX over a Extra Dry any day, Someone should setup a poll

For swill i honestly dont think its that bad. yep its a bit dry and bland but its not like its a beer made to step up to the plate and square off against a james squire.

For swill i honestly dont think its that bad. yep its a bit dry and bland but its not like its a beer made to step up to the plate and square off against a james squire.

Have you had a Golden Ale lately....

Only last week for the 2nd time I left half a PINT of golden ale on the table. I used to love the stuff. That is now swill! Though I am going to try it one more time in the bottle! It's being a while but I also love JS IPA... hopefully they have not de hopped that! :angry:

I actually wrote to Tooheys earlier this year and complaint about the PILS.
They offered an entire carton of PILS delivered to my door.
I declined. :eek:
A month later they had changed the hops and it was still not any better when I tried it.

Now! Tooheys Extra Dry you should drink very fast when you are very thirsty and dispose of bottle very discretely. :p

I still drink Mega Swill but only for the effect, not the flavour.

Swedoholic

Matti

Yeah, best to make your own JSGA... the way it used to be. I've had some in bottles that seemed better, but the jug I tried a couple of weeks ago tasted like half Tooheys New and half original JSGA. Amarillo flavour/aroma was cut way back.

I sure hope the Lion Nathan execs feel at least slightly ashamed for placing profit as their only priority, but I doubt it.

The truth is, sure, there are bad beers. But only for the first couple of schooners or so!
Tooheys Extra is the exception for me... can't go beyond one bottle, and I've slowed a lot by 3/4 the way through.

doesn't the bottled variety come in clear glass? May have been skunked or left on the back seat of your mate's car in the sun or something.
Nope... it seems to be disgusting fairly consistently. I've yet to try it on tap.

Anyways, enough complaining. Hopefully this thread starts showing up in google when people search for Tooheys Extra Dry :)

Cheers

We give MEGA SWILL (brewers) such a hard time....

but these guy's have successfully brewed a beer that pleases the masses that tastes pretty much the same every time you drink it! Well done to them.

What I dont get is a company that aims for a certain minority changes there product to get the MASS...

"katie throws herself on the floor stamps her feet" and yells "I want my golden ale back!"

Interesting, I would take a XXXX over a Extra Dry any day, Someone should setup a poll

But what would that prove? One man's swill is another's nectar. I quite enjoy West End draught on the rare occasions I frequent my local. But my interstate friends, almost to a man, wouldn't drink it if it was the last beer on earth.

Wouldn't it be a dull old world if we all liked the same beer?

Have you had a Golden Ale lately....

Only last week for the 2nd time I left half a PINT of golden ale on the table. I used to love the stuff. That is now swill! Though I am going to try it one more time in the bottle! It's being a while but I also love JS IPA... hopefully they have not de hopped that! :angry:

i had around six pints of it last weekend, i thought it was fantastic, very hoppy. This was in newtown, how long do the kegs take to get to WA?

I got given a carton of it as payment for a job I did.

As has already been said its just beer coloured water, with no taste to offend.

Has anyone tried the platinum one? Is it the same water with higher alcohol?

"katie throws herself on the floor stamps her feet" and yells "I want my golden ale back!"
It seems the old JSGA had a lot of mass appeal, especially among females (my wife and her friends included).

Perhaps they went and stuffed it up too soon.

i had around six pints of it last weekend, i thought it was fantastic, very hoppy. This was in newtown, how long do the kegs take to get to WA?

I was different pubs each time also, one of them has it on tap all the time... Most places in Perth only have it on tap when its a special! The Amber is the most popular over here for some reason. All bottle shops have the Amber but not the rest of the range!

Latest posts

Back