Too Much Yeast!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandaloril

Reaction score
Okay, so I brewed up a bock for new years and pitched a white labs german lager yeast into it. 2 days later no activity, Damn! Okay so the yeast was bunk, deep breath move on with life, went to get some new yeast, Wyeast 1056 in the slap-pack, and like a fool slapped it at the store so I could pitch it as soon as I got home. Went to the fermenter and bubble, bubble, bubble the white labs had become active; rats. So I threw the pack in the fridge hoping to put the yeasties back to sleep and save them for sunday when I can brew up another batch and use them. So here's the question; will they survive till sunday and be usable by then and if not what do I do with them now?..I hate to waste the yeast (not to mention the cash it took to buy them).

I have had smacked blown up Wyeast packs happily survive under refigeration for up to 3 weeks. I have no doubt they would last longer, 3 weeks is just my experience is all. So there is no need to rush to a starter, just do it wjen you are ready.

Regards
Dave

I have also put swollen smack packs into the fridge for ages, i have done it plenty of times and they have always worked perfectly.
Whilst wyeast wouldn't come out in public and recomend it, simply to save themselves if it didn't work properly, iam quite comfortable in advising leaving them like that if you have to.

Jayse

What's wrong with a starter?

Make a starter, pitch a starter, gee, a yeast for nothing!

JMM

Latest posts

Back