too much water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtwist

Reaction score
I was day dreaming and instead of filling to 22L I filled to 24L wasn't happy :( the batch is a coopers APA and a box of BE2 i wanted to make it a lil stronger so I had 216g white sugar that I threw in hoping to balance out the extra water i added.
what do you reckon it'll turn out like and what should the white sugar do to it ? what alc% could it finish at. the OG is 1.044
i tried using the calc thing on here but couldn't get it working

thanks

an extra 2ltr will thin it out a bit, but it will still be drinkable.

I would worry about it

the OG sounds right & i doubt an extra 200+ gms of white poison is going to destroy your brew.

i never use it though…

alc % will depend on your FG, if you end up with about 1.010 it should be about 4.6%.

it's the extra H2O that's the problem, who drinks that suff???

yeah main reason I added the white sugar was to get the % up higher wasn't planning on a low 4s with the 24 L water mistake from I worked out with the extra white at 24L it should come out around 4.9%

If you can boil off 1litre of water it will give an OG of 1.089
boil off half a litre and you should ger an OG of 1.066
boil off quarter Ltr and you should get an OG of 1.054 which will probably end up a bit over 5% if my arithmetic is correct..Check with hydrometer as you go anyway.
Brewmate says to add 400 Gms of dry malt extract for the same result.

Back