Too Much Krausen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt89

Reaction score
brewed this a week ago

Coopers Mex Tin
1kg LME
500gm Organic Honey
30gm Galaxy @ 5mins
us-05

brewed at 18C for the last week and its still bubbling (once every 10 or so seconds?) and has at least an inch of krausen?
is it just being slow or is something not right?

OG - 1.052

4/1/11 - 1.022

Today - 1.018

cheers

I've bottle US05 brews with an inch of krausen.

Dunno why it sometimes does this, but it does.

I usually forget about time and just concentrate on the beer actually being given time to finish and condition. I have enough fermenters to get something else on the go and unfinished and unconditioned beer aren't worth the rush (if the bottle doesn't blow up, you need to wait ages before the beer will taste any good anyway).

Like Nick, I've also had US05 leave a big sea of brown muck on top of my beer even once it's hit 1010 and sat for a week. Other yeasts too (notably 1007). Patience is required. Once the beer is finished and conditioned, you can rack away from any krausen if it's still there.

Leave it another week either way, but IMO it should get a bit lower

i guess its understandable that obviously an active fermentation still present (bubbling) but I've never had one have this much after 8 days of ferment! ah well hopefully it pisses off when i CC after i reach FG (tastes good but haha)

i guess its understandable that obviously an active fermentation still present (bubbling) but I've never had one have this much after 8 days of ferment! ah well hopefully it pisses off when i CC after i reach FG (tastes good but haha)

I would still leave it a week at 19 or so after you hit FG then CC.

Cheers,
D80

I just took a sample from a brew with re-cultured US-05 (3rd use) that is totally finished and still has more than an inch of krausen still on it... 1004 :blink: am I worried? Nope... drank the sample, tasted nothing out of the ordinary.. I was a bit worried as this is the one that had a bit of mould growing under the gladwrap (didnt quite make it inside) when I came back from hollidays and discovered the circut for the brewfridges had tripped sometime in my absence.

A quick clean, change the lid, learned a lesson, moved on. Im still giving it till sunday (before CC) but if you can, Cold Conditioning will usually easily deal with a persistant krausen. and as others have said it doesnt matter anyway, racking or botteling will take care of it.

hmmm better go and throw some hops in it ;)

I might take another sample too just to be sure I'm not completely mad or got a bad reading, there was a big clump of yeast that blooped into the sample..

Yob

This just happen to me this week. But it had hit FG, so I upped the temp 2 deg for two days then CC, It went away when I CC

Back