Too Much Hops.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.m

Reaction score
I recently did a morgans lager. Brewed it for a month at 12 degrees and stupidly remembered that i forget to add the Golden clusters hops. My HBS bloke said to add it after the brew. "floww the juice straight into the keg he said". So i boiled up 25g of GC in about 500ml water and through it in.

It is so hoppy that it is unpleasent to drink. I was thinking about doing a straight malt ale brew (to save time) and blend the two together. Would this work?
Steve

you sure its not just the golden cluster?

theyre not a very nice flavoured hop on their own.

cant see 25g of any hop being too much to add to a standard kit.

how long did you boil the hops for? if you only boiled them in straight water they might be a little "grassy" but shouldnt be overbearing in any way.

Probably would work, but I suggest, if youre going to brew again anyway, leaving the original as is because it will lose some hop flavour over time. Maybe it will come good. Make your next brew a good'un instead of 'sacrificing' it for the sake of a blend. Then if you really want to blend, just do it in the glass. 50/50 anyone? ;)

Yeah Righto,
I now have two shitty beers in my fridge :(
I think i will ned to go back to basics.

Wouldnt the hoppynes die down with age? I accidentally used Target (9%) instead of Saaz (3.5%) once. The beer came up really well after about two months. I did hit it with every fining agent I had though. I think I used gelatine, polyclar and copperfloc or something at the end of the boil. Oh and yes it was a rather clear beer. I now label things better within my freezer too. I think the calculated IBUs would have been above 100 but it did not taste it after two months.

I did something similar with golden cluster flowers in the keg, it was overly hopped to begin with but it became quite pleasant over the course of about 2-3 weeks. Give it some time, vent the keg a few times and bring the pressure back up. That may speed it up a little. I reckon you'll be OK in a few weeks.

I've been given the advice to store the beer some time to get rid of some hopiness as well.

I bottled a batch last week and tried some at the time, it was so hoppy it wasn't even funny.
It should be alright according to Beersmith but I tried a bottle today again just to see if anything had happend, still way to hoppy after a week in bottle so I will give it a few weeks before tasting another one. Can only hope it goes away to some degree.

I've been given the advice to store the beer some time to get rid of some hopiness as well.

I bottled a batch last week and tried some at the time, it was so hoppy it wasn't even funny.
It should be alright according to Beersmith but I tried a bottle today again just to see if anything had happend, still way to hoppy after a week in bottle so I will give it a few weeks before tasting another one. Can only hope it goes away to some degree.

How much hops did you use?

Made out to 19 liter I used Goldings, East Kent.
55g @ 60min
25g @ 15min
20g @ 2min

Then I kind of forgot to strain it so the hopps sat through a weeks fermentation.
Racked to secondary and let sit for another week, bottled just over a week ago and it's not really drinkable at this time.

i reckon patience is required for the hoppyness to die down.

I recently made what i considered a delicious APA using a lot of cascade, and shared it with some of my mates who all said it was too bitter and/or "green" tasting.

After a month or so, and the same people of the same beer said it was delicious and could scarcely believe it was the same brew. Pity i had drunken most of it by the time...

As I understand it, Alpha shouldn't really matter for dry hopping - but I've only tried East Kent Golding and Cascade, which aren't high Alpha varieties.

After being disappointed by 12g "tea bags" added at the start of brewing (smell great, but that's all), I now add 25g of hop pellets to the primary once fermentation is "complete". I leave it for a week or so to infuse, then transfer to a secondary for a few days to settle out any remaining hop fragments before bottling. The odd bit of hop may get into the bottles, but much less so than if you add the pellets to the secondary.

Goethe once said: "What does not kill me makes me stronger." I think he was a bit of a hop head. ;)

Back