Too Much Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caffiend42

Reaction score
Not normally a problem ;) but it is for beer. If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it - I had a search but couldn't find the answer.

We've finally done our first brew on tap. It's an SA Pale Ale, fermented for 8 days (bearing in mind we're in Darwin). We usually put a couple of bags of ice in to lower the temp down to about 24deg to start.

Once in the keg, we let it sit for 48 hours at 40psi in the fridge, then dropped the pressure to about 7psi to pour. The keg is an 18 litre post mix, and the tap is a Truflow.

Problem is a major splurk when pouring, and it produces about 90% froth before settling. We're turning the tap on and off fully, and as quickly as possible. We have lengthened the beer line to about 2m (thanx Snow), and burped the baby, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The resulting beer is flavoursome, but a touch on the flat side as a result.

We've also tried doing a continuous pour into a jug, with only slightly better results.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

:beer:

hi caffiend42
im not going to go into a long suggestion of fixes.do a search on this site as its been covered numerous times with great problem solving answers.

cheers
big d

Sounds like it's over carbonated.
I don't carbonate my kegs over a number of days, like yourself, I use the "shake like hell" method and it's ready in 5 minutes.
I've had an over carbonated keg though, my very first, and it poured all froth. I took the lid off the keg and left it for a few hours and then it was ok.

I must have been using the wrong key words in searching big_d, will give it another burl.

The other theory was that it's just that type of beer, as the head settles pretty quickly. Probably wouldhave helped if we'd brewed something we'd done before rather than a newie, then we would have been able to detect a difference.

We've got a Cooper's Pale down at the moment ready to keg on Sunday. We've done that one a number of times before, but this will be the first kegging of it, so we'll see what happens.

So TL, you'd recommend not letting it sit for 48 hours @ 40psi - just putting it straight to 7-10psi? And if you take the lid off for a few hours, and then reconnect the gas, wouldn't it just go back to what it was?

ta and :beer:

Latest posts

Back