Too Much Caramel Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyrock

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my american amber ale recipe that Im going to put on when I have a free fermenter. It will be the first brew Ive done without a kit for a while. Wondering if I might be going a bit over the top with the caramel. Any feedback or suggestions to improve the recipe would be appreciated.

22l batch
American Amber Ale

300g Victory Malt
200g Carapils
200g Carahell
200g Cararoma

1.5kg Coopers light LME
1.5kg Briess Munich LME
500g Dry wheat malt extract

10g Chinook 11.1% 60 minutes
10g Chinook 11.1% 30 minutes

10g Cascade 6.5% 20 minutes
10g Willamette 6.1% 20 minutes

10g Cascade 6.5% 5 minutes
10g Willamette 6.1% 5 minutes

10g Cascade 0 minutes
10g Willamette 0 minutes

US-05

Where do you get Victory from? I didn't know we could get it over here...

Looks good to me, not over the top, not swure you need the Carapils with all the others though.

What's Willamette like? I have NEVER used it...

Will be getting the Victory from Craftbrewer. Never used Willamette before either. Will have 30g leftover from a Sierra Nevada Stout clone that I am doing so Im putting them in this. Keen to see how it goes.

Where do you get Victory from? I didn't know we could get it over here...

Looks good to me, not over the top, not swure you need the Carapils with all the others though.

What's Willamette like? I have NEVER used it...

6.82% victory
4.55% each of carapils, carahell, caraaroma....
Ah, yeah. Too much, by a long way imo.

Personally, I would consider 10% total spec grain to be at the upper limits. I would kill the carapils totaly, change the carahell out for carared, make it 3% each carared/caraaroma, and cut the victory down to 4%. (ie roughly 120g red/aroma, 160g victory)

Also don't understand having a 30min addition. It's like one o'clock half struck. Too early for good flavour, too late for good bittering.

Ok so I'll ditch the carapils. Keep the cararoma and swap carahell for carared to get more red colour in the beer. Thanks guys.

Sorry for derailing! I only shop at grain and grape. Always wondered why they didn't have it.

i only ever used as much as a kg of specialty malt in a 23L extract batch. After that i think that you waste money and better off with a mini mash.

Back