Too High Mash Temp? Did I Stuff Up?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I may have just stuffed up. I put my stc1000 into my mash to hold temp at 66c for 60 mins. But after 5 mins I noticed the urn was still on and the temp hadn't risen much past 64c cause the temp sensor had risen to the top.
So I uncovered the urn and had foam coming over the side and when I checked the temp it had got to 78c.

I quickly drained off two litres and poured in two litres of cold to bring it back down to 66c.
Have I stuffed it up and caused enzyme activity to stop?

And so should I dump the wort and abort the brew then?

Unless you stir the mash the temperature will never be even. the wort near the element will be way hotter than the wort near the probe/thermowell let alone near the top. But onto this brew have you checked to see the gravity of the wort is pre boil or the ability to do a starch conversion test with iodine? In reality id say the wort if converted in time (approx 20 mins at higher temps) will finish with a higher final gravity.

Truman if you are going to use a temp controller on your mash you really need to recirculate. 5 minutes at 78 is not ideal and will change the profile of the beer but does not warrant tipping it out. no worse than over shooting your mash in temp and taking 5 or so minutes to correct.

Cheers

I didn't really measure temp on my first AG ended up with full body 2.5% abv. I ended up baking bread with it. Bitterness made the bread taste like sourdough.

That choice is yours, young Skywalker. I wouldn't throw out wort without having pitched yeast and waited for a week or two to see what happens. But then again I always prefer to do the experiment and see what happens rather than take other people's advice on what they suspect will happen.

In the 5 minutes you missed you may well have had some half-arsed sacc rest and you might make a decent mid-light strength beer out of the wort if you perhaps increase the bitterness in your boil (because presumably your final gravity will be highish).

But that's me, I never tip out a beer until it's been in the bottle for a few weeks and is definitely confirmed as rubbish (and even then I don't tip out the batch - and this hasn't happened for over 18 months now...).

That makes me feel a bit better. It was probably more like 2-3 mins but felt like an eternity to get it back down again.

I will check the gravity at pre boil.

I was supposed to mash out at 77C for ten minutes. Should I still do this?

Here is a link to a similar thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...+high+mash+temp .
I found it by typing 'too+high+mash+temp' into the forum search at the bottom left.

Cheers

Thanks for the link. Searching with the + symbol gives you much better results than the standard search. I'm going to use that from now on

My Pre boil SG was 1.070 and my EOB gravity was 1.072 that's with 2 dunk sparges.
So I'm happy with that. The recipe was Screwys chocolate treacle stout so might turn out okay after all

(think I might have to dial my efficiency in brewmate up to 85% next time as I'm still getting way over recipes OG of 1.054)

Thanks for the link. Searching with the + symbol gives you much better results than the standard search. I'm going to use that from now on

My Pre boil SG was 1.070 and my EOB gravity was 1.072 that's with 2 dunk sparges.
So I'm happy with that. The recipe was Screwys chocolate treacle stout so might turn out okay after all

(think I might have to dial my efficiency in brewmate up to 85% next time as I'm still getting way over recipes OG of 1.054)

Side note how did you brew go of my recipe?

I know i fucked it up a little at the start but it all came good as was nice and bright for me...

Side note how did you brew go of my recipe?

I know i fucked it up a little at the start but it all came good as was nice and bright for me...

The Galaxy Amber Ale? Yeh went well. Still lagering and Ive sampled some but the Galaxy is still a tad strong and probably needs more time to mellow out.

The Galaxy Amber Ale? Yeh went well. Still lagering and Ive sampled some but the Galaxy is still a tad strong and probably needs more time to mellow out.

yeap found that too but by week 3 was all gone and nice and easy to drink had a big session on it a week ago and having a big session tomorrow night

yeap found that too but by week 3 was all gone and nice and easy to drink had a big session on it a week ago and having a big session tomorrow night

Your dead right there, I tried some last night (Its week 3) and it was much better than before. The Galaxy has mellowed out heaps.

Latest posts

Back