Too Cold To Brew – Spare A Thought For Tassie’s Brewers This Winte

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got a few flurries of snow at our place yesterday (we're at the dizzying height of 75m above sea level). Watched the clouds go over the Tamar and smack into Mt Arthur.

Im on the Oettinger cans as we're budgeting and I don't have time to brew (until next weekend)......don't bother with the fridge, just leave them on the concrete in the shed.

Where you located jlm? My parents moved into their new home on the Tamar last week. Beautiful area

We've been having nice 27 degree days here in Kyogle but it's dropped overnight back to a severe 20.

With 7 degree nights, hopefully the garage will drop down to an ambient of around 17 where it has been for the last month or so.

Need Beer.jpg

Curly79 said:
Where you located jlm? My parents moved into their new home on the Tamar last week. Beautiful area
Currently up on the other side of the highway from Brady's Lookout living in a mates shed while he's in NZ. Its actually better than that sounds. Got my own block on the East Tamar at Swan Bay where we'll move once we build. Which will be soon.....Build loan got approved on Friday.

Brewed in the shed today,blowing it's arse off,rain,hail and cold.
No worries I'll stoke the potbelly up. Wrong ! No firewood. scarf, beanie and into it. I'll be grabbing all the offcuts off the site tomorrow for next weekends brew day so I freeze my arse off again.

I should have started on lagers in the garage/boiler room early on but was too tied up with other things (yeah right, just lazy). What a surprise it was that it's been 8-12c in there for a month or two. I wouldn't have thought that tassies knew as much about insulation as the mainland. As in nothing. Min 2c night outside, 6c in the kitchen in the morning. No point even trying to keep the place warm.

Sticking ferms in a disconnected fridge helped heaps and just by juggling hot water bottles/jars has been enough to let them finish so far.

Ah well, there's always next year...

timmi9191 said:
hlt, mlt and/or kettle throw out plenty of heat to warm a shed i would have thought
My shed is pretty big, 9 x 6...not enough heat on those really cold nights to warm that air up!

spog said:
Brewed in the shed today,blowing it's arse off,rain,hail and cold.
No worries I'll stoke the potbelly up. Wrong ! No firewood. scarf, beanie and into it. I'll be grabbing all the offcuts off the site tomorrow for next weekends brew day so I freeze my arse off again.
Maybe i need to resurrect the old wood heater in my shed for these cold nights!

Latest posts

Back