Tonights Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewkid

Reaction score
well tonight im going to use what i have here to make a batch but need some ideas what to use and what to do with it

coopers APA kit
almost 2 kgs of dextrose
50gm POR pellets
US-05 yeast

ive never added hops before or used US-05 yeast ideas what to do with this please?

Cheers: HBK

i have similar ingrediants sitting in my cupboard and would be interested to see what can be made of this.

well tonight im going to use what i have here to make a batch but need some ideas what to use and what to do with it

coopers APA kit
almost 2 kgs of dextrose
50gm POR pellets
US-05 yeast

ive never added hops before or used US-05 yeast ideas what to do with this please?

Cheers: HBK

Now is not the time to be using hops for the first time.
POR is mainly for bittering and rarely used for flavour or aroma.
The APA kit goes really nice with some cascade, chinook, simcoe, galaxy....10 min boil of 1 or a combination of each to about 20 grams total....plus dry hop day 5.
Malt instead of dextrose will make a big improvement.

If desperate to brew tonight, kit + 1kg dex, at 16c to ferment nice and slow.

If desperate to brew tonight, kit + 1kg dex, at 16c to ferment nice and slow.

yeah tonight is the last chance for a while as i go away in 2 weeks and need to bottle this batch before i leave

yeah tonight is the last chance for a while as i go away in 2 weeks and need to bottle this batch before i leave

The APA kit with 250g of dextrose to 15 litres would come out alright. Use the US-05.

If you're feeling brave you could decant a few tablespoons of the kit into a saucepan with a litre or two of water and boil 10g POR for 20 minutes and use that to mix up in your fermenter. You may or may not be happy with the results but it should give you a better understanding of where POR sits with you personally.

well didnt get anything done lastnight so this will be happening this arvo now need to bottle the last batch first then get stuck into this one

My vote goes with reducing the volume to get a better end result.

If you reduce it to 15 ltrs as suggested and add say 300 grams of dex that should give you 4.8% in the bottle and about 28 ibu's :icon_drool2:

I would use the kit, 1kg dex, 23L and steap 15g por pellets. This wont add very much bitternes but will be similar to a coopers pale ale.

I have done this recipe before but i added the zest of 3 limes and the juice. This will make for a very special summer kit beer.
The por has great aromas but nobody uses it like this. If you dont boil it it will be great as its a bittering hop when boiled.

I might do this again now..lol

Cheers jake.

Back