To start or not to start

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys to save starting another post, my brewblend i had used from hbs was made up off 500g dextrose, 250g maltodextrine, 250g malt extract, my question is: malltodextrine and malt extract be basically the same thing? whats the difference here?

Maltodex isn't very fermentable (about 5% from memory) but adds to mouthfeel and improves head.
Dextrose is fermentable like malt extract.

edit: oops I type too slow - what Thomas Wood said

Air lock action stopped 3 days ago, im waiting for 2 more days before dry hoping into primary vessel, this would make day 10 for dry hop, the plan is then to rack to bottling bucket on day 14, my concern is having the brew sit on the yeast cake for 14 days before bottling (dead yeasts and off flavours), unsure if im doing the right thing by leaving in the primary for so long

Due to wife oops circumstances beyond my control I've had brews sat on yeast cake for longer than that and no discernible difference in flavor.

Just go with it - probably more chance of infection and off flavors moving it to another fermentor.

If you've done gravity readings and get the same result you know it's time to bottle.
The longer you leave it, the less hop flavor you'll end up with.

Due to wife oops circumstances beyond my control I've had brews sat on yeast cake for longer than that and no discernible difference in flavor.

Just go with it - probably more chance of infection and off flavors moving it to another fermentor.

If you've done gravity readings and get the same result you know it's time to bottle.
The longer you leave it, the less hop flavor you'll end up with.
Haven't hopped it yet, cant bottle until weekend so was planning to dry hop it Wednesday, haven't bothered taking gravity reading to see if i hit my 1010-1014 mark

Haven't hopped it yet, cant bottle until weekend so was planning to dry hop it Wednesday, haven't bothered taking gravity reading to see if i hit my 1010-1014 mark
Ahh! well maybe take one now and another in a couple of days to make sure the ferment is complete (same reading) You don't want to make bottle grenades :)
Hitting the FG mark isn't that important, but making sure the ferment is just about finished is.

Ahh! well maybe take one now and another in a couple of days to make sure the ferment is complete (same reading) You don't want to make bottle grenades :)
Hitting the FG mark isn't that important, but making sure the ferment is just about finished is.
Just checked the hydrometer reading, visually its still gassy with little fine bubbles and formed a head in hydrometer, the reading was at 1022, sg was 1050, im expecting 1010-1014, poured the hydrometer sample into a glass and taste is fine, reminded me straight away of a honey blonde, yet I used no honey, so I think dry hopping wednesday night will be fine & I expect the gravity to be done by sunday

Update: day 12 primary ferment after dry hops added on day 10 the hydrometer is now reading 1014, tasted the hydrometer sample and glad I did as i got to taste the difference the hops have added, no issues with the taste and at this stage im happy to bottle my 1st batch on this sunday

Latest posts

Back