To Smack Or Not To Smack?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaseH

Reaction score
Whats the opinion on smacking a wyeast smack pack that I intend to split 4 ways? I've read some that do and some that dont. I'm leaning towards not smacking - my simple logic is I don't need to wake them up if I'm just putting them to sleep again?

save the nutrient for the brew and pitch it with the yeast sure it cant hurt

Cool, confirmed my thoughts.

I'll save the nutrient pack for the starter ;)

Whats the opinion on smacking a wyeast smack pack that I intend to split 4 ways? I've read some that do and some that dont. I'm leaning towards not smacking - my simple logic is I don't need to wake them up if I'm just putting them to sleep again?

I smack the pack.
I use 30ml vials so smacking the pack & letting it swell for 2-3 days gives me 4 x 30ml vials full with a dribble left over. Not smacking the pack gave me 3 & a bit tubes full so the smack works for me. No problems so far with my stepped starters or attenuation, spot on.

Smack it if it makes you feel good, just be sure to only use an open hand and dont leave marks.....oh, you guys talken bout yeast.

Yes, I'd smack that. :eek:

It's probably down to personal preference, but I would have thought it could help top their energy supplies off before you put them back into storage.

Plus it might help to wash the yeast out of the packet.

Wyeast do say that if you have smacked the pack and can't brew with it right away, you should put it back into the fridge. So it doesn't cause them any harm to smack and then store.

Wolfy gives the following reasons for smacking in the Splitting Yeast Packs (in Pictures) thread:
Step 0: (optional)
If using a Wyeast pack (as per the pictures here), smack the pack and wait for it to swell, this provides more liquid to split and 'revives' the yeast which should mean it will be viable for a longer period when stored.

I've never split yeast before, but that makes sense to me. It also gives you an indication that the yeast is viable, although I guess you'd normally split a relatively fresh pack.

Cheers,
tallie

As my mother said to me "Don't smack it" :eek:

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Anyone know what's actually in the nutrient pack? Is it something special or just a bit of malt extract and yeast nutrient?

I believe its a high quality yeast nutrient. Save it for your starter mate!!!

Wyeast say 'Malt Nutrient' I really don't see whether knowing or not will be helpful. They do say that it doesn't matter if the pack swells up or not so I guess that comes pretty close to answering your question

These things are a BUGGER to burst. I have only had three of them, and I smacked the shit out of the last one... let it sit outside (low 20's ambient) for a day, no swelling, so I thought the yeast must no longer be viable (yeast was 6-months old). Thought I'd open it up to take a gander... yep, bloody nutrient pack hadn't burst.

I swear, I smacked the hell out of this thing maybe 4 or 5 times throughout the course of that day, to the point I was scared that I might burst the outer pack... be great if these things were a little easier to open.

Work it down to a corner, rest it on the ball of your palm, smack the f&ckhole out of it with your other hand ball of palm, you can feel and hear it pop... - I find this works for me anyway....

Maybe it is your girlish strength and lady boy type hands that are the issue?

What is it? a 1056 for your LCPA clone?

Cocko said:
Work it down to a corner, rest it on the ball of your palm, smack the f&ckhole out of it with your other hand ball of palm, you can feel and hear it pop... - I find this works for me anyway....
Or, once it's in the corner, put the pack on a hard flat surface and lean on it with the palm of your hand until it bursts - it's quite obvious when it's done!

Cheers,
tallie

tallie said:
Or, once it's in the corner, put the pack on a hard flat surface and lean on it with the palm of your hand until it bursts - it's quite obvious when it's done!
Yep, the immovable object versus the irresistable force works much better for me than left gun versus right gun.

Spiesy said:
These things are a BUGGER to burst. I have only had three of them, and I smacked the shit out of the last one... let it sit outside (low 20's ambient) for a day, no swelling, so I thought the yeast must no longer be viable (yeast was 6-months old). Thought I'd open it up to take a gander... yep, bloody nutrient pack hadn't burst.

I swear, I smacked the hell out of this thing maybe 4 or 5 times throughout the course of that day, to the point I was scared that I might burst the outer pack... be great if these things were a little easier to open.
You don't smack it, you pop it.

I place it on a table and find the nutrient pack and lean into it with my palms until it pops... always feel like the whole thing is going to burst... but its not.

Meanwhile, I don't smack if I'm going to split.
  1. its faster
  2. i get a nice 4x split across 30ml vials and
  3. i don't have to worry abvout yeasties getting stuck in an empty nutrient pack,
  4. I can collect the nutrient for laters

Back