To late to brew for a party. Or is it ? Help Required

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
(The countdown clock is 9 days.)

I have a major milestone birthday on the weekend after next and have nothing in bottle or keg to serve anyone.
As an avid home brewer, and all my friends know I am , I feel I have let them down.

It's just been too busy this year to think about brewing. So I thought it's just too late. or is it?

Could I purchase a Fresh Wort Kit (yes it's cheating, i know !) and have if fermented in about 6 days, under gas for 3 in a keg and still turn out something drinkable.

If so , please help.

What wort kit style would be drinkable with only 3 days maturation?

Can I get it done in this time ?? or will it be such a bad example that it would not be worth the trouble.

BOG

A wit FWK would be ok. To everyone's pallet? Maybe not.

The APA I took to the case swap was in a keg just over 2 days and was demolished.. Didn't hear any complaints

A mild ale or English bitter will work. Use WLP002 yeast.

Cutting it fine,
but hey if it goes pear shaped and tastes horrid, the silver lining is your mates won't nail all your HB when you do have your stocks up!

Cheers,
D80

mikk said:
A mild ale or English bitter will work. Use WLP002 yeast.
+1

That yeast (or most English ale yeasts I've tried for that matter) will churn through it nice and quick and then clean up after itself nice and quick - just make sure you raise the temp toward the end of fermention so it doesn't floc out on you. My bitters seem to be at their best as soon as they're carbed and slowly go down hill, so they're a good option for fast turn around.

I don't know your friends, but who doesn't like an English ale? Avid megaswillers I guess.

Yeah vote goes for a mild or a dark ale no greater than 1040 OG. S04 at 20 deg for 5 days, cold crash for 2 days at -1, filter then force carb at 300 for 24 hours then back down to serving pressure. Ready in 9 days. Not ideal but will work.

cheers

most of my pales are being consumed on their 8th day from grain.....no complaints

Agree. Smash out a mild and a hefeweizen.

Nothing like a challenge, mate!

thanks everyone.

Was thinking a APA or a bright ale, light and social. I have the yeast WL002. So that that bit's done.
Sound like for the response it's all possible.

I would have liked to have served an english Ale, a Best Bitter, but to be honest the fresh wort kit's are not so great on that score. (that comment should get a reaction)
(I'm a Dave's HB Shopper)

My friends are not Larger Swillers.... if fact they have little if any beer pallet, mainly expensive wine drinking types.
Hence the requirement for something a bit mainstream. Too scary these odd beer types..

But I have been able to turn the head of the odd one now and then, to explore beyond the grape !!

Personally I wouldn't because if you want to uphold the idea/reputation of being a decent brewer why not put your best foot forward? Why risk shit beer? Just buy some good stuff and say you ran out of time.

Otherwise a mild, best bitter or mid strength apa that isn't overhopped, fermented and conditioned as long as possible, chilled and force carbed.

I know its not for everyone but you could get a Saison kegged in 9 days! Using Wyeast 3711 - smashed my 1056 saison to 1005 in 5 days

Back