To lager or not to lager: bière de garde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal.p

Reaction score
I'm gonna have a crack at a bière de garde and the recipes can be quite different in terms of conditioning.

Gordon Strong reckons 4° C cold conditioning for 4 months whereas others say 10 days and drink as soon as carbonated (sounds great to me!).

Any experiences of either/both methods?

Neal

The “garde” means to store so the style usually needs some storage to gain the flavour profile. I prefer to store more at cellar temp., 14 to 18 degrees for several months. However, you can drink some early and keep some for later and a few for next year. I just kegged/bottled a batch of B de G. I am storing the bottles at around 17 digress and will not drink them for several months. The 9 litre keg is stored at 3 degrees and I will a have a glass every so often to see how it matures. I used the WLP500 yeast and it seems to need some time to mellow.
Just my views, others will have different ideas. Hope this helps.

Thanks Barry, sort of sounds like my normal strategy with any beer. Start drinking them too young and then drink most before they are completely ready and then have the last one or two when they are actually ready. They would do better under lock and key. I really need to sort out chilling for FVs and conditioning beers.

Latest posts

Back